I am definitely not a late-nighter and by the time Mom finished last night, I just couldn’t make myself write my post. So, it looks like I am back to my wordy, lengthy writing as I will cover two days in one post.
Yesterday Dad and I (the morning people in the family) started off in the exercise room of our hotel. It was definitely state of the art. I love working out in places like this because I get to watch cable TV. I totally forget that I am out of breath and sweating when I get to watch CNN and the Food Network. After that, we had a long day of pretty fast driving. At one point I had to tell Matt that 90 mph was, in fact, NOT considered coasting. I am glad I got to exercise a bit though because yesterday was the first day that my joints weren’t aching throughout the ride. Looks like I have Dad’s knee and hip problems.
Once we arrived in Santa Fe, we wandered around downtown. Since it was Sunday, most places were closed, but we scoped out all the placed we had to see today. We had dinner at a beautiful Mexican, no New Mexican, restaurant. It was surrounded by hand-painted panes of glass in the most vibrant colors. Our meal ended with sopapillas which I drizzled with the slightest bit of honey. I think every restaurant should give you a complimentary sweet treat to end your meal. Of course, this should be done in addition to the complimentary bread at the beginning of the meal. That is my kind of dining.

The colors in this restaurant were much brighter than this pictures reflects.
While walking around downtown we happened upon Café Paris. Despite the sopapillas we had just eaten an hour before, we ordered several desserts to go. We munched on these while sitting on the balcony off of our hotel room. And it was about 65 degrees. A beautiful evening.

The Plaza Real is perfectly located next to the plaza downtown.
This morning we all went to play tennis. The courts looked brand new, and they were surrounded by mountains. Though my imagination was telling me otherwise, we did not see any rattlesnakes. Whew! I actually beat Dad, Mom, AND Matt in a winner-stays tournament. We are quite the competitive family. After all my boasting, Dad and Matt quit taking it easy on me, and that was the end of my winning streak.

I considered using a picture of me serving, but oh my, it just ain't purty. Matt has perfect form.
For breakfast, I ventured out on my own. After three days without a moment alone, I decided I needed a short break from Dad’s never-ending bathroom humor. I’m afraid one more reference to booholes (he coined this term himself) just might have ruined my appetite. And, you see, I needed my appetite this morning for the French Pastry shop. I noticed quite a bit of French influence in this city. Why this is true in the middle of New Mexico, I have no idea. Anyway, I sat at a table by myself (which I have never done before) and ordered a chocolate croissant and a café au lait. I lingered here eating, drinking, reading, and people-watching for about half and hour before booking it to get all my shopping done within Dad's time limit.

I searched the city for a silver bracelet and ended up with this. It is solid sterling silver and made by Navajo Indians.
At Mark’s suggestion, we took the scenic route today. It is the longest any of us have stayed awake. It might be because of the majestic, impressive, grand mountains or maybe just because we have slept at least 8 hours each night and at least 2-3 in the car each day. I woke up this morning at 3:30 and felt fully rested. Then I slept for 3 more hours. My days have pretty much consisted of driving, (correction – riding) sleeping, eating, sleeping, eating, stretching, and eating. Hey, it’s hard work, but somebody’s gotta do it.

I know what you’re thinking. (Insert vibratic soprano voice.) The hills are alive with the Sound of Music… This sight did make Mom break out into song, and Dad joined her. I’m not sure which is worse: that my mom can’t sing like Julie Andrews or that my Dad can.
The fun really started at The Olive Garden in Denver - where Monica, mu aunt, works. Of course it was wonderful to see Mark, Monica, Cristina and Melissa, but the best part was meeting Mitch, Isabella and Sofia for the first time. Mom and I didn't let go of those babies for at least an hour. We kept trying to wake them up, so they would sleep for Cristina tonight, but they stayed asleep despite our efforts. Honestly, I really enjoy sleeping babies. I get all hot and nervous when they start crying. I have a lot to learn. Hopefully I will get a crash course in baby care tomorrow. Mom and I are going to keep them for most of the day. I'm sure we will have some good stories for you.


Can you tell them apart? Other than the color of their clothes?
Mark gave us some hints. For one, Sofia is a bit smaller. She also has a little bit of a point on the top of her ear. Not in a Spock from Star Trek kind of way, but in an adorable 8 pound baby kind of way. And Isabella has a birthmark on her right foot. Monica seems to have nicknames for them already. I have no idea how she would spell it, but Isabella is Izzy and Sofia is Sofie. Too cute. Can't wait to hold them all day tomorrow.

3 comments:
Wonderful informative post! Again felt like I was there. Have been checking diligently all morning for news. I know Izzy and Sofie will know they have been loved on by the end of this day.
Love to all of you and keep the pics and news coming.
Papaw J.
I am not even Mark's niece or sister, and I wish I was there holding Cristina's babies. They are soooooooo cute. I bet you won't put them down all day! I know you've been looking forward to this time with them, and I'm glad the trip is fun. Sarah, I love that you make every day of vacation important. A blog of one of my vacations might be, "We went to this museum, and it was neat," or "We just laid around today before we went for a walk downtown." You know JUST how to describe a day!!! Papaw J is right...it feels like I am there.
Love and miss you. Let's talk when you get home. I got your message the other day. I left you one yesterday. I didn't know you'd already left!
Have fun and we'll talk when you are back in TN.
Seeing such beutiful peaceful babies makes me want to have more babies..Im so glad you are having such a great summer! I really feel like you've been gone 4-ever! Call me and we'll get together and catch up!
Post a Comment