As I suspect all teachers would tell you, mixed in with our delightful students are a wayward few who have gotten lost along the way. Sometimes I look at those students and wonder what the rest of life has in store for them. After the senseless tragedy yesterday at Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, I worry that some of my students are headed down a similar path. We all look to find an answer to explain why something like this happens even though it never brings the comfort we are looking for. Maybe more important than finding out what happened to cause somebody to go to such extremes, is finding out what didn't happen. So, maybe this man didn't get what he needed from his parents or family, but where were his teachers, guidance counselors, coworkers? It might be too late to save him, but it isn't too late for the others. Only one week from the official start of a new year, I hope to connect with a few of those who have fallen through the cracks, and I pray that it is not too late. I challenge you to do the same with someone in your life.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment