Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Babysitting? I Don't Think So.


More like baby-watching, baby-adoring, baby-caressing, baby-loving. When Mark came home from work today, he asked what we were doing. I answered, "The same thing we have been doing for the last 6 hours. Just looking at them." I swear, it never got old. Every furrowed brow, kick of the leg, sneeze, hiccup, and smile was just as adorable as the last.

Here is one example of the furrowed brow. Don't you wonder what on earth they are dreaming about that makes them do this?



"We go together like a wink and a smile." I don't know what is with all the song references lately, but what can I say, these babies make my heart sing.




I wish this picture had turned out better. They kept wrapping their arms together and holding hands while they were laying on the bed. Adorable!

I must start by saying what natural parents Cristina and Mitch already are only two months in. Cristina never seems worried, stressed, or frustrated (many of what I'm afraid will be my dominant traits as a mother). Whereas I say things like "Hello," "Hi there," and "Whassa Doin," in the highest pitch I can muster, sweet baby talk rolls off Cristina's tongue as naturally as an exhale. The two women who have raised four children collectively turn to her for answers.


Yes, that is Cristina - not Melissa. She went back to her natural color yesterday. Melissa insists that Cristina is just trying to look like her.

And Mitch reminds me so much of Andrew. He has a gentle personality and does not hesitate to jump right into everything baby. I loved the moment when Cristina and Mitch arrived at the house today to find only one baby - Sofia. Isabella had been whisked off to the grocery store. It was so funny to watch them fight over who got to hold her because they probably never have to do that. He and Cristina seem to have a great system by dividing up the night feedings. They almost make having twins look easy. I know I am just getting a glimpse, but I truly hope Andrew and I will do this well.

The happy new family.



In just a few years, this expression will probably be accompanied by, "Na Na Na Na Na." I can't wait to get to know their little personalities.




Uh oh. Wearing the same outfit, can't see the ears or feet. Which is which? I actually can't tell for sure, but I think Sofie is on the left and Izzy is on the right. Mark, feel free to correct me.


As for Mimi and Papa, they are totally enamored with these two darlings that look just like Cristina did as a baby. Monica has generously allowed Mom and I a lot of baby holding time. She was off work today, and those days are few and far between for her so we really appreciate her sharing them with us.


Papa immeditely grabbed Sofie from her car seat when he got home and was aghast that nobody was holding her.

And we must not forget Melissa. She has her driver's permit and had quite an adventerous driving test today as she led us up Lookout Mountain. It was a steep and curvy road, and she cautiously stayed right at the speed limit while we climbed about 1,000 feet above the already mile-high city.

This girl is ready for the road. Not an ounce of fear inside her body. Wait, maybe that means she isn't ready for the road.


My adventures in baby-land today were actually pretty smooth. Or so I was beginning to think until Isabella decided otherwise. I had conquered the art of baby-holding and switching holding positions. Lots of people make this look like a simple task, but I'm telling you, supporting the head while fixing the dress riding up the back and trying to keep them comfortable at the same time ain't as easy as it looks people. I did a pretty good job of keeping my heart-rate down everytime they started to fuss. Most of the time, switching from the arm-cradle position to the lap position or vice versa did the trick. Feeling successful, I decided it was time to change a diaper. Even though I have known my first two neices and nephew since they were babies, I always left this duty to someone else. Isabella was so accomodating to this diaper novice. Cristina coached me through the process. Just as I was proclaiming victory, though, Isabella released her surplus dinner right down my shirt. Actually in comparison to Mom's experience, I had it easy. Tomorrow, I plan to feed them. The feeding part doesn't seem to be too complicated, but the burping looks a little scary. We'll see how it goes.

Mark took us to Beau Jo's for dinner. It is known for its mountain pies, pizza with a gloriously thick crust filled to the brim with toppings. It reminded me a lot of Big Ed's except this menu would have taken hours to read while Big Ed's is typed on a folded business card. Plan A was to go to the original restaurant in Idaho Springs, but with two babies in tow, plan B's are often necessary. Instead we went to the one just down the road and drove to Lookout Mountain afterward.

The whole crew at Beau Jo's.

Matt will likely be M.I.A. today as he tried to finish his online class by midnight.

Tomorrow night we will add one more to this group as Nana is scheduled to fly in from Memphis. I'm a little jealous that she gets to be with them for 10 days.

No comments: