I am definitely a fan of the firm handshake. There is something about a person, especially a man, gently squeezing my hand as if I am some kind of fragile porcelain doll that just creeps me out. Today, though, I got a lesson in the kind of handshake that nearly brings you to the floor. I was introduced to someone at school, so as is expected, I offered my hand in greeting. I seriously regretted my offer only moments later. The man squeezed my hand so hard that there was an audible popping sound from my bones being crushed together. I mean, I actually heard it. I just wonder what he was thinking. Was it an effort to establish his manhood? his power? He had already been introduced as a police officer (here to investigate whether or not one of my students is dealing drugs - another story for another day), so I already knew the power he wields.
Let's all do humanity a favor. Test out your handshake on somebody tonight. Ask their opinion. Too gentle? Too forceful? Find that delicate balance. Modify. Make some adjustments. We perform this action regularly, so trust me, it will be worth it.

No comments:
Post a Comment