Thursday, May 8, 2008

Reality Check

Preacher Bob

Tonight my small group prepared spaghetti for Preacher Bob's service for the homeless downtown.  To be completely honest, I wasn't really looking forward to it.  I have been working extra hours lately, and I really wanted to come home and start getting ready for the Mother's Day extravaganza on Sunday.  Needless to say, the Babylonian mentality of selfishness was taking over.  I seriously considered just preparing the food and letting everyone else deliver and serve it.  

I ended up going though, and I was reminded of something that I think G.W. said a couple of months ago.  If all God ever did for me was send his son to the cross, that would be enough.  He is not bound to provide for me in any other way.  He doesn't have to provide me a home; he doesn't have to provide me clothing; he doesn't have to provide me food.  His grace is sufficient.  How humbling.  As I was wrapping my jacket tighter around me in the cold (by my definition!) rain, I realized that I had a warm, dry home to return to.  Thank you Jesus.  I don't deserve it.  I don't deserve him.  What a reality check.

On a side note, 20 pounds of spaghetti is about twice as much as you need to feed about 70 people!

1 comment:

AReed said...

I had to drag myself there too! Why? They were so happy we were there and loved the food. It takes so much to not give in to the Babylonian Mentality. Now I am just glad that I know someone else felt the same way because I felt really bad!