Yes, on a school night I watched two, count 'em two, movies: The Rape of Europa and 27 Dresses. Quite a diverse selection. The first is a documentary playing at Downtown West that details the cultural upheaval in Europe during World War II. Because of my lack of knowledge about art, I was hoping this film would help me appreciate all of the art I will be viewing in Paris. The film did just that. It documents Hitler's mass looting of the art of France, Italy, Poland, and the Soviet Union. Obviously the loss of human life during the Holocaust is...I don't know...is there even a word? But, the way he orchestrated the systematic theft from museums and Jewish homes is astounding as well. The Allies eventually found the thousands of paintings, sculptures, and tapestries in the depths of salt mines where he hid them. One of the most powerful moments in the film was the story of a Jewish family in New York who was reunited with the Torah scroll stolen from their family during the pillage.

US Chaplain sorts through mountain of stolen Torah scrolls.

Hitler presents painting to Goering, a leading member of the Nazi party
I was beginning to question the nature of art during the film because they way some of the people were talking about; it seemed like idolatry. Really, it's just cloth, clay, and paint, right? But who is the ultimate artist? The sunrise over Edisto Beach, Cades Cove at dusk, the shadows of the clouds over the Grand Canyon. God is the creator of beauty and the giver of talents. I guess it's okay to revel in the beauty of it all. What do you think is His most beautiful work of art?
Not much to say about 27 Dresses. It was a perfect chick-flick for Mama Ese and me while Andrew was coaching. It's definitely rent-worthy. Especially from those $1 a day per movie machines.
I have been teaching for three years now, and I am just beginning to realize that I don't have to save all the fun stuff for the weekend. School nights are just as promising as Friday and Saturday night. I have to remind myself that just because I work at a school doesn't mean I am in school anymore.

4 comments:
"What do you think is His most beautiful work of art?"
COLORADO!!! :)
I have to agree the top of Keystone was quite a sight.
What I think changes daily, but at the moment it is a beautful 100 year old oak tree, um...or the sunset from my deck...um or a beautiful hydrangea bloom...or a hawk soaring in the sky...or a newborn baby...a double rainbow...forsythia blooming wildly...the drive to Johnson City in the fall...I literally could go on and on. It must be true that as you get older you really do "stop and smell the roses" as it were!!!!
Highway 101 between Malibu and Monterrey, CA. Amazing.
Post a Comment