Mrs. McAffry: Today we are going to take some time for self-reflection. Blah. Blah. Blah. Because, really, if you are not setting goals to improve your life or the lives of others, you might as well just wither up and die.
Students Who Comment Without Raising Hands: Mrs. McAffry, that seems a little harsh.
Is it? I'm not sure, but it definitely got their attention and that is usually my first goal in the class. So, I had my students set some goals for their senior year of high school, some goals for the summer, and some long-term personal goals. They focused on this assignment intently.
More Students Who Comment Without Raising Hands: We should do things like this more often.
Mrs. McAffry: That would constitute fun, and we all know fun is not allowed in school, especially in English class.
Because of my "a little harsh" comment, I decided I better set some goals while they did. Here are a few of my summer goals (which I may begin in no less than 5 days):
- Play tennis at least once a week
- Finish reading Steinbeck's East of Eden (I have started it two times already...)
- Spend time with Mama Ese, my great-grandmother
- Study photography (I took a class last semester and have since forgotten everything)
I took these pictures yesterday without using any of the knowledge from that photography class. Auto-focus is so easy. All that f-stop, aperture, light meter stuff makes my brain hurt. Who knew photography involved so much math. By the end of the summer, though, I hope to have at least working knowledge of it.
The Lonas Family
The Reed Family

4 comments:
Hey Dad says he wants you to take pictures of us like that!! He said we could "frolic in the fields", and he could do his "fairy jump", whatever that is!! Seriously those pictures are amazing!!
Andrew just said he isn't sure if he wants to see the fairy jump.
I've seen it! Trust me he wants to!!!
hahahaha
1. i am all about David's fairy jump!!
2. those picture ARE AMAZING!!! i mean really, they are really good.
3.i will play tennis with you. (i'm no good but i bet i an get mattie out there too!)
4. i love the class prompt. good call.
Post a Comment