One of my favorite scriptures mentioned so far in the study has been possibly the most well-known of all - Psalm 23. Sadly I have heard it a million times and have never really listened. Strange how we can recite it from memory yet not really know what it means. As you know, it talks of how God, as our Shepherd, leads us to the still waters to restore our soul. One of the questions in our book asked about what the still waters are for us. I think God gave me a revelation in the back room of Elidio's (after a delicious meal of completely health-conscious pizza, I might add). Maybe the still waters aren't just found in those mid-afternoon naps, but instead the still waters are the small group meetings at Starbucks, the last-minute trips to Home Depot, the late night band practices, the chaotic birthday parties. It might not be easy to see them that way, but through prayer God has changed my perspective on all those things on my to do list.
So often I let my mind race through all the things I have to do in the day. I fail to be present in the moment. I fail to appreciate the blessings that surround me. Over the last week I have asked God to change my perspective and allow me to find the still waters in all of my tasks. Andrew said last week he was going to remove the word "busy" from his vocabulary, and he challenged me to do the same. I have actually found this surprisingly freeing. After all, we choose almost everything we do.
The last week has been filled with peace, rest and yes, still waters. May his word be fresh and new for you today.
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

3 comments:
Amen.
How interesting that you picked the phrase "still waters" when "He restores my soul" has been my unspoken prayer for years. It got me through a difficult season of my life and it always speaks so clearly to me. I have prayed it for myself and for others as well. If you have the cd Back Home by Caedmons Call, replay the song "Walk With Me." I am sure you will remember it, but maybe it will be especially meaningful as you go through this study.
Amen #2
Post a Comment