When we finally made it on the plane, we hurriedly opened the cards MamaEse specifically told us to open only when we were on the plane. While I'm always a rules-follower, I'm surprised Mom waited. She can't even wait for Christmas to give me my Christmas presents. I usually get most of my presents the day after she buys them! Thanks for the extra spending money MamaEse! I hope to spend it in SoHo tomorrow!
Upon arrival in Newark, we caught an overpriced cab to the city and were serenaded by Lionel Richie tunes all the way into town. Mom was quite nostalgic because her wedding was made up almost entirely of Richie's love ballads - classy right? Anyway, the cabbie drove us to the door of the hotel so we could drop off our too-heavy bags.
We grabbed lunch at a little dive on the way to the boat cruise.
Somebody get this girl a haircut! (The one on the left, of course.)
I can't tell you how much I love that Mom is the official planner of this trip. I just hang back and go where she tells me.
We took a three hour tour of the island on a very non-Gilligan's Island looking boat.
It was pretty cold outside so I was lazy and took the pic of the Empire State's Building from inside. If you look closely, you can see the reflection of my head. Real cute.
I got brave and headed to the bow of the boat for a shot of Ellis Island and...
Lady Liberty.
It was really hazy, so I hope Photoshop can add some color to this picture of the skyline.
And here's the Brooklyn Bridge. We're going to walk across it before we leave.
This one is for Andrew who only made me feel a little guilty on the way to the airport when he asked if this was my fourth time going to NYC - and he has never been. Don't let him fool you though, he chose not to go on this trip. He was totally invited.
I think we're all glad we took the three-hour tour because we saw so many things at once, but all I learned on the last hour is that there are parts of Manhattan that I never care to see again. I would definitely recommend the two hour tour; it just didn't work with our schedule.
Aren't the colors of Times Square incredible? Love it.
We went to dinner at Joe's on Broadway. It was overpriced, average food. They totally tried to dupe us with the internet coupon we had. They ask when you walk in if you have the 20% off voucher, and then they give you a more expensive limited version of the regular menu! Can you believe they thought we would fall for that. We ordered off the cheaper, bigger menu while the manager waited on us - I think in fear that we were going to be angry about their scam.
We went to Dean and Deluca for dessert and split a key lime pie, a raspberry brownie, and a blueberry crumble. Best decision of the day!
I have got to remember to set it on auto when other people use my camera. This is the only pic I have of us all dressed up for Phantom of the Opera.
I'm a little embarrassed to report that I fell asleep during Phantom. Just remember that I got up at 4 AM, flew to New York, walked all over town, and I go to bed at 9 anyway. After a little catnap during the half of the play, though, I was good to go. It really was an incredible performance, but I have never been much of a play/musical kind of person. I find it hard to get emotionally involved in live performances for some reason.
It appeared that most people's night was just beginning as ours was ending. Come on New York, what about Sunday morning church? I hate to be missing Powell Church this morning - they have a great lineup today, and I'm sure a challenging sermon as well. Thanks to our tech crew, I can watch it when I return!
Well, it is now daylight, and I'm ready for another fun-filled day in the city. My updates will likely be in the morning because with this group, I'm the first to crash at night and the first to rise in the morning. First stop: Europa Cafe for a yogurt parfait and a latte!

1 comment:
how fun! I LOVE New York and am a tad jealous;) have a grand time! looking forward to more pics!
Post a Comment