So Monday morning I took her a Vera Bradley bag (thanks Mom!) full of clothes, jewelry and makeup. One of the coaches at the school has brought her a backpack full of clothes before, so when she came in I just said, " Hey, there's a bag for you over there." I think she just assumes it too is from him. Well, yesterday she walked in carrying the Vera Bradley bag and wearing a shirt, necklace and pair of earrings from the bag. I had to go sit behind my computer to try to keep my composure; I just wanted to cry. Today she was wearing a different shirt and pair of earrings from the bag. While many moments of teaching are difficult and frustrating, moments like these remind me how much I love my job. One student at a time.
Thursday, March 12, 2009
One Student at a Time
Last weekend I was cleaning out closets and drawers to find some things for the rummage sale we're having on March 21st. I found a few things that I don't wear anymore, but I thought instead of using them for the rummage sale I would give them to one of my students. Her home life has been pretty rough lately, and I noticed she often wears really baggy, inconspicuous clothes - almost as if she is trying to be invisible. She is such a sweet student so it's frustrating to see her going through this crap that she doesn't deserve.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Amen and amen. You may never know what these gestures of kindness mean to your students. It may make someone's day or change a life.
Post a Comment