We then hopped on the subway to get to the museums. We dropped Mom off at the American Museum of Natural History, and Rachel and I headed to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Thinking it was just a simple stroll through Central Park was a mistake. Somehow we ended up walking on a little two lane road that went below the park. After being in a bustling city like this for a few days, being on a road by yourself makes one pretty nervous. I kept a brave face and we did end up winding back around to the museum. We tried to keep Mom from making the same mistake, but apparently the sidewalks through Central Park are quite circuitous and didn't lead her directly to the museum. She kept her cool by stopping at a bench and snacking on her Dean and Deluca cashews though!
Can you see the excitement? All this for some displays of amoebas and gorillas. She is definitely her father's daughter!
The construction on the Met completely ruins the photo. It really is a beautiful building. I enjoyed looking at the architecture almost as much as the art on display.
Travel Tip: (You long-time readers should remember those.) Find someone with a professional looking camera to take your picture. A much better outcome than the Phantom pic, huh?
The Temple Room in the Met. I have no idea what it was about, but it was beautiful.
We had lunch at Le Pain on Madison Avenue. Check out my six vegetable quiche. Papaw, I'm following your instructions and trying new things! I haven't been disappointed yet.
Strolling down Madison Avenue was quite an experience. We didn't enter a single store. Most of them were closed because it was Sunday, but I don't think we would have entered anyway. Here is a short list of what we saw: Georgio Armani, Valentino, Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, and Christian Leboutin. Not exactly bargain shopping folks! We were hoping for success at Bloomingdale's but it too was pretty high-end. I didn't see anything reasonably priced, but it was fun to look around and get some ideas. We tried to go to Serendipity for their famous frozen hot chocolate (an oxymoron, I know), but we couldn't do the hour wait. Hopefully another day.
We then took the E train downtown to Ground Zero. It is crazy that it all happened over seven years ago, and it still looks like this.
It seems like a massive hole in the center of these skyscrapers.
The best view is from the surrounding buildings.
The black building is being torn down floor-by-floor from the damage of September 11.
I'm sure the people in charge are doing things as they should, but I kind of wish it was more of a serene setting. If I hadn't known where we were headed, this would have looked like any other area of the city with construction going on. Such a significant day in our country's history deserves to be memorialized with more respect.
The Century 21 department store is a block away from Ground Zero. Now this was some real bargain shopping. Well, New York style bargains. $400 dollar clothes for $100. The dressing rooms were a bit disconcerting, but otherwise it was a fun experience. I left with a cute black dress for a reasonable $50. So far, that is the only article of clothing I have purchased.
Who would have thought we would have dinner at a Bar-B-Q restaurant in Manhattan, but the reviews were great, so we tried Virgil's Bar-B-Q. I've only had ribs one time in my life, so I thought I would go for the authentic experience. I made it through two of them before the thought of the bone ruined the rest of them for me. It was good, but I'll go for the pulled pork next time!
Our hotel came with a $20 room credit. Being the economical gals we are, we wouldn't want to let that go to waste now would we? We ordered an apple tart, complete with vanilla ice cream and apple sorbet, and churros with liquid chocolate! They did not disappoint. The whole not eating after 8:00 PM is definitely out the window in this city!
I better get off here and get ready for some serious shopping in SoHo! I hope to report success tomorrow!

2 comments:
Sounds like a great time. Check out Carmines. Family style Italian restaraunt just off of Times Square. It's better than any Italian Restaraunt in Little Italy.
Looks like you girls are having fun! Love u all!=)
Post a Comment