Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Star Sighting!

After yet another yogurt parfait from Europa Cafe, we headed to the green market at Union Square.  Mom's NYC book reported that it was a must-see, but I think our very own Market Square farmer's market could have given Union Square some stiff competition.  Maybe it was too early or just too cold, but we were less than impressed.  Hugh Jackman, on the other hand, strolled through the market with his children sometime later that day according to the New York Post.  We just missed him!  

I couldn't get on the subway fast enough to venture into SoHo.  I had never been to this area of the city on my previous trips, so I couldn't wait to see it.  We were immediately drawn into Sabon (an upscale bath and body product store) because of the free samples being given out on the doorstep.  That was the best decision this company ever made.  They made quite a return on that free sliver of soap!  Rachel and Mom bought some soaps and gifts, and I bought vanilla body oil.  I don't often wear perfume because it is just so strong, but this oil is a light and airy scent.  

Little Italy is just a hop, skip, and a jump from SoHo.  Who could pass up Lombardi's Pizza, which claims to be New York's first pizzaria?

Anticipating that first bite.  How would it compare to Big Ed's?

Mom has broken free of her Coke addiction...errrr Coca Cola additction...but pizza and iced tea just won't do.  This meal demanded the Real Thing.
Check out that fresh basil and mozzarella.  

Wanting to look like a real New Yorker, I went for the folded method while Mom and Rachel daintily cut each bite with a knife and a fork.  I'm not willing to say it was better than Big Ed's, but I guess it was equally as good.  Really they are just two completely different kind of pizzas.  Definitely a must-try if you are ever in the city.

I won't go into detail about the shopping that ensued, but I will tell you which stores brought the most success: Anthropologie, H&M and Esprit.  No surprises there.  I finally took the plunge and bought a pair of the perfect jeans!  Way too expensive, but I'm still glad I did it.  I was worried about buyer's remorse once I got home, but apparently it's not as hard as I thought to spend that kind of money on jeans! 

We stopped in Vosges Chocolate to give our feet a much needed break.  

I had never heard of this place before, but when I looked through the window and saw two ladies drinking these, I knew we couldn't pass it up.  

We never made it to Serendipity, but I can't imagine it being better than this!  It even reminded me of Angelina's in Paris, just a bit thinner.  Definitely the best quality dark chocolate though!

After our shopping budgets were tapped out, we went to Balthazar for dinner.  Mom had told us this would be the best place to see a celebrity, and she was exactly right.  Within five minutes of us sitting down, Rachel spotted somebody she recognized in the table directly behind mom and me.  Mom inconspicuously turned around to check her out but couldn't place her.  I tried looking in the mirror across from me, but a bar was covering her eyes.  Finally as the unknown celebrity was standing to leave I looked around and it was none other than Maura Tierney - aka Abby from E.R., the show I have watched for like ten years!  I really wanted to run up to her and ask her where Luca was, but I kept my sanity and let her be.  

The food at Balthazar was absolutely beyond delicious.  Mom had steak au poivre with pommes frites (peppered steak with french fries), Rachel had homemade fettucini with wild mushrooms, and I had spinach and ricotta ravioli.  After such a rich meal, we decided to split dessert.  Are you kidding?  No we did not.  We each ordered one and split them in thirds.  This is very likely one of the best decisions we made on the trip.  Our dessert plate included caramelized banana ricotta tart, pineapple upsidedown cake, and plum blackberry tarte.  I now understand why Martha Stewart and Ina Garten rave about this restaurant.

Mom didn't waste her time on the spinach!

I'm typically not a big mushroom fan, but even I loved this dish.

The best part was the crunch parmesan and bread crumb topping.

Thank goodness this city requires so much walking.  We were able to enjoy all this food guilt free!  Stay tuned for the update on day four.  I'll tease you with the title: "It Illegal.  Follow Me."

3 comments:

Sheila said...

I could not tell you this since you were asleep on the plane, but I read in the New York Post on the way home that on Sunday while we were window-shopping on Madison Avenue, so were Robert Redford and Barbara Walters!!

Mercer Family said...

That food looks so amazing! I miss steaks so bad. They don't have those here. Well unless you catch a cab about 30 out of the way. Which isn't a cheap ride. But after seeing these pics we might just have to catch a plane and go straight to New York. I am so glad you all are having such a great time!

kp said...

I am 100% certain that no one has ever described my eating style as dainty. Reading your blog makes me want to go ahead and book Spring Break next year. Thanks to your mom's planning and your internal compass, it was one of the best trips I've ever taken.