Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Rose-Colored Glasses

I must admit that I had a sizable knot in my stomach yesterday as I walked into school.  I teach three English classes, two of which have thirty-four 17-year-olds who don't particularly like to read or write.  So far, they have been delightful - in contrast to one particular class last semester!  I'm sure they will test my patience, but at this point, I'm just really excited about getting to know them.  I love the opportunity to start fresh each semester.  

Another reason for my rose-colored glasses perspective today might be because my intern is going to work with me again this semester.  He was supposed to work with two other teachers for the Spring, but somehow it just worked out for him to stay with me again.  Because it is a pretty challenging class, we are going to co-teach for awhile.  Today we accomplished that by leaving half the class with him, and me taking the other half to another room.  Turns out seventeen 17-year-olds are much more manageable than thirty-four.  The even better news is that he will do all the grading for the class...which means a couple hundred less essays for me to grade over the next five months.  

Haaaa-llelujah!  Hallelujah!  Hallelujah!  Ha-lleee-lujah!

To add to the excitement, I have had three emails from people wanting to schedule photo shoots.  Yay!  I'm doing another engagement session this weekend.  I just hope the weather cooperates because they are getting married in February.  We're working with a pretty tight schedule here!

Okay, one more thing.  I sent an email to some of you mentioning that Rachel and I are planning to raise money to buy a deserving student a car when he graduates in May.  Someone called today and said they are considering selling their car for a great price.  (Can I get an encore of that Hallelujah Chorus?)  Our major fundraiser is going to be a rummage sale in the Spring so please save your "junk," and I'll let you know when we need it.  Just to let you know how wonderful this student is, he came to me yesterday to ask how my Christmas was, and when I asked about his, he replied, "Magical.  It was magical."  Thanks Kim for organizing and coordinating such a wonderful surprise for him.

I think I'll keep the pink shades for a few more days.  Tomorrow I get to schedule our tennis matches for the season, and tryouts are Friday.  (Incidentally, the only person consistently calling me coach is our principal, and it's possible he might only be doing it to get a good laugh.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you, especially since I know how wonderful it is to have a fabulous intern. I'm talking about you! I'm excited about your photography business. You're so gifted at it. Love and miss you. Next dinner is Feb. 9 at Salsarita's in Fountain City at 6:30 p.m. I want to see you b/c I miss you. Or you could just do another blog post on how precious I am. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have on rose-colored glasses too. I got my own room!! I had been sharing with another new girl, and we each traveled one period a day, so it wasn't terrible, but you know how it is to not have your own space. Anyway, the man next door, another English teacher who also teaches 1 period of PE, said that he wanted me to have his room since he only taught in the classroom two times a day (gym for PE). So I moved myself in yesterday and today. SOOO excited.

Sarah C said...

Congratulations Amy! Try not to fill it wall to wall with filing cabinets! I will definitely see you February 9.