Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Best-Laid Plans of Mice and Men

It's no secret around here that I'm a planner, so this might be as much of a surprise to you as it was to me.  Are you ready for this?  Because I'm afraid this earth shattering news could be quite disturbing.  Okay.  Here goes.

Last night I had "planned" a fun night on the town for Rachel, Jason, Lindsay, Andrew and myself.  And NONE of it worked.  We were planning to eat at Downtown Grill and Brewery then head to the Square Room to see Matthew Perryman Jones.  Thinking we were leaving plenty of time to eat, we walked into the restaurant two hours before the concert and were told that the wait was two hours.  Okay.  Easy enough. We'll just head to Market Square to eat.  The wait at Tomato Head was 45 minutes.  Hello, people.  It's like ten degrees outside.  You should be at home eating a bowl of chili on the couch.  

So, we finally settled on Oodles.  Andrew and I shared a great bowl of pasta there a while back, so we thought it was a sure thing.  Well, it wasn't.  I'm not sure that anybody really enjoyed their meal.  The casserole I ordered turned out to be more of a soup with bread and cheese on top.  I didn't think it was possible to go wrong with a combination of pasta, bread and cheese, but it was wrong in so many ways.  Flavor.  Texture.  Presentation.  Wrong.  

Ready for the best part of the evening, we walked about thirty paces to the Square Room, and we were promptly denied entrance.  For a moment, I think I understood what NeNe on Real Housewives of Atlanta felt when her name was left off Sheree's guest list.  (Can we pretend I didn't just admit to watching that trash?  Thanks.)  I looked on the internet for information about the concert several times, but somehow never realized that we could, and in fact should, have bought tickets in advance.  (If you clicked on the link above, also pretend you didn't see the large, dark blue button that said "Buy tickets.")

Not ready to go home, we thought we could just head to the Riviera to catch a movie, but they either started thirty minutes ago or were an hour away.  Ugh!  With Rachel's 14-mile training run today, she and Jason decided to call it a night.  Sorry it was such a mess of an evening.

Andrew, Lindsay, and I ended up chatting at Starbucks for a while.  It was one of the best parts of the night.  Old friends.  A decaf, tall, skinny, vanilla latte.  (Only 90 calories which allows for...) A cannoli from Coffee and Chocolate in Market Square.  Their window display is totally irresistable.  You must try this place.  

I'm off to see if I can catch a Bravo marathon of Real Housewives today.  Errr.  I mean, I wouldn't dream of wasting hours of my life on such meaningless television.  I would much rather watch CNN's coverage of the inauguration.  Meaningful.  Historic.  Right.  Yeah right.

No comments: