Travel Tip #13: Don't get too confident about not having jet lag. Who knew it doesn't hit until day three?
This morning it was more than a little difficult to get out of bed. Last night we stayed up until about 2:30. I don't think we have both stayed up that late since we went to Vegas three years ago---seriously. I just don't do that. It is not sensible. Somehow, though, this "city that never sleeps" makes you feel like you are missing out on something if you are inside too early. So, last night and tonight we haven't made it back to our apartment before midnight.
After finally ripping myself out of the bed this morning, we hopped on the metro to get petit dejeuner at the best bakery in Paris - Poulaine. I was expecting a sprawling storefront with a line of customers. Instead we found a tiny shop with the doors closed and a sign that said it was closed on Monday. For some reason, many stores in Paris close at strange hour and most close at least one day of the week. There is no way to make sense of it. It's not like they are closed just on Sunday or anything. They just decide, "Hey, I think I would like to mess with les Americains by closing on Thursday at 11:30 a.m."
Travel Tip #14: Check store hours before making a special trip anywhere in Paris.
We then headed ventured to the Louvre Museum. It houses 12 miles of galleries; needless to say, it can be a bit overwhelming. I had to hand over the map to Andrew to guide us because I immediately got us lost, and I was so tired I could hardly think. Just to keep it real here, with the exception of the three major pieces I wanted to see, I found the Louvre quite boring. I have been there before, and I felt the same way then, but this is Andrew's first time so we decided to go. I tried looking at some things I hadn't seen before, but if I have never heard of the artist, I have a hard time appreciating the piece. So y'all have nothin to worry 'bout. We Tennesseeans didn't get too cultured for you. You should still be able to understand what we're talking about when we get home.
One tiny piece of the massive building, Musee du Louvre, that displays more than 30,000 works of art.
Andrew gettin all cultured and stuff.
Venus de Milo, the Greek goddess of love
There is much speculation about what Aphrodite's missing arms were doing. Some thoughts are that she was holding her dress, raising her left arm, hugging a man statue or leaning on a column. Rick Steves surmises that she was picking her navel. Lovely image Rick. Permanently changed the way I view this statue. Thanks.
The Winged Victory, situated at the top of a dramatic, but exhausting flight of stairs
I am so glad I saw The Rape of Europa before seeing this statue again. The documentary explains how during WWII, this piece had to be moved and hidden so Hitler didn't take it along with all the other pieces he had looted. The placement of this stated at the top of the stairs made that task quite difficult considering that it is so fragile. One wrong move and it could have been ruined forever.
da Vinci's Mona Lisa, Italian for "my lady Lisa"
Obviously this is the most popular piece at the Louvre. It is quite a scene when you finally find it. The room is crowded and people are pushing and leaning all over each other to try to get the perfect picture. It is surprisingly smaller than you would expect. They have it blocked off, and it is behind a piece of glass so it is impossible to really closely analyze it.
Parisians sunbathing at the Tuileries Gardens.
We had lunch at a salon de the (pronounced tay, I just don't know how to add accents in blogger) called Angelina. My high school French teacher and colleague Mme Taylor recommended this to me. They are known for their hot chocolate called l'Africain. Though he never uttered a word of complaint, Andrew was not too happy about eating here because it is pretty girly food. He was such a good sport because it was 80 degrees outside, and the building had no air conditioning. Despite the fact that I was quite hot already, I ordered the renown chocolat chaud. It did not disappoint. They bring you a pitcher of what seems like just a melted bar of chocolate--quality even better than Godiva if you can imagine that. It also comes with a cup of whipped cream for you to add as much as you like. It is unbelieveably rich and thick. One lady was actually eating hers with a spoon, but she was American. I imitated the French and drank mine from the cup. Mama Ese, you would love this place. No milk chocolate in sight. Everything from their hot chocolate drinks to their ice cream is made with rich, nearly bitter dark chocolate. I also had a quiche lorraine and Andrew ate some of a club sandwich. He later informed me he doesn't even like those in America. He said the look on my face while I was drinking the hot chocolate was worth it. Isn't he wonderful?
Our midday naps are becoming somewhat of a pattern. We only got about five hours of sleep last night and walked so much that there was no other way to continue. When we got up, we headed to Montmartre, the highest point in Paris (on land that is, the Eiffel Tower is actually higher). Andrew decided that we shouldn't look at the view until we got all the way to the top. We took the stairs all the way up (because I couldn't find the escalator---not in an effort to get exercise---we have walked nonstop here people---give me a break). There was a French man playing Pink Floyd, a surprisingly romantic sounding song, as we turned at the same time to see the view. (I think Andrew is trying to change #10 in my post listing my favorite things about him.) We just stood there for a while to take it all in (ahem...and to catch our breath). (Sorry about all the parentheses, it is also becoming somewhat of a pattern.)
The view from Montmartre.
The Sacre-Coeur Basilica at Montmartre
Because Andrew was so wonderfully pleasant while actually being miserable at Angelina, he got to pick where we ate dinner. So, we headed back to the Italian/American restaurant where they speak French and English. We both had a pizza.
Travel Tip #15 : Learn to give and take so you can both do what you really want to do.
Once it got dark, we took a ride on the Bateaux-Mouches. The buildings are all lit up at night, and most of the important ones are right along the Seine River so it is a great way to get an overview. I thought we chose the boat company that didn't narrate the ride, but they actually blasted the narration in French, English, Italian, Spanish, Chinese and Japanese. No, we didn't choose which language we needed, we listened to all of them. Actually, though, the hour long ride was a wonderful way to end the day. The breeze felt incredible after such a warm day.
The view of Notre-Dame Cathedral from the Seine
Andrew and I in front of the Eiffel Tower on the Bateaux-Mouches ride
Alternate Caption: Quick! Somebody tell that girl she has got to figure out how to use her straightener.
Travel Tip # 16: Don't forget to tell the nice lady taking the picture how to use your oh-so-complicated camera that you are still figuring out after two years.
Travel Tip # 17: Resist the urge to scrunch up your nose when riding in the metro. Either their noses don't work the way ours do, or they think their Chanel perfume is actually covering up the stink.
Okay, it's 2:00 a.m. Paris time, and I am still wide awake. If I try to go to bed, my mind starts racing through all the things I still want to buy before we leave. Last time I regretted not buying several things when I got home. Mme Taylor's motto is "You see, you like, you buy." I am trying to abide by her policy. So much for buying a piece of art to hang in our house. I wanted to purchase something at Montmartre today, but the only painting I liked was 600 euros (about $900). Everything else just looks cheap and like you bought it from a souvenir shop. I still have hope for H&M though. It will probably be Wednesday before I get to this cheap and chic store. I can't wait!

6 comments:
The pictures you are taking are enough to make me want to tolerate the rude people and visit France myself! They are breathtaking. What is the problem with the straightener anyway? Milly says "hey"
I don't know. I really hope it isn't broken completely. All of my other electronics are working.
Travel knowledge tip:
Daily showers are exclusive to Americans. I know what your going thru!! Thats why the bidet is so popular there. Look it up in the dictionary, because I did and didn't want to post the definition here. They use it daily not the shower.
Thank you fro changing chick to chic!!!!
Sounds like salon de the Angelina is my kind of salon!! You Will Love H&M it is GREAT! I wish we had one..(I can shop at this store and leave with tons of clothes and Kenny would still be happy..you should have lots of luck!)
Your travel blog is truly the highlight of the day, to the point that we want you to stay a little longer, maybe do the rest of Europa!
We will send a few more Euros to cover you.
Remind the next rude Frenchman/Frenchwoman that were it not for the uncultured Americans about 65 yrs. ago, that they would all be speaking German now (or maybe Russian). Probably your trip to Normandy will serve to pump you up as an American in terms of what our country sacrificed to save the Europeans (and maybe ourselves also). Love you both, Papaw and Mary Ann
Post a Comment