Thursday, June 26, 2008

Emma Grace is Here!

She weighed in at 8 lbs. 3.5 oz exceeding all of our guesses.

I am officially an aunt four times over.  Melissa has graciously allowed me to experience the birth of her last two babes, Jake and Emma.  Last time her epidural didn't have time to kick in, but this time it did so it was quite a different labor process.  She called at 4:00 a.m. this morning.  In my state of slumber, I first thought, "Hummm...There is a phone ringing, but it is not my ring."  As I began to wake, I jumped from the bed, ran to the kitchen and missed the call.  Luckily she then tried Andrew's phone, and I was aware enough to answer it.  We made it to the hospital by 6:00, and Emma was born at 7:18.  Just like with Jake, she was ready to start pushing before everybody was in the room.  I had to run to the cafeteria to get Russ, the dad, just as he sat down to eat his breakfast.  I carried his coffee so he could at least eat his bacon as we ran down the hallway.  One and a half pushes later, this little bundle of joy was screaming her head off to announce her arrival.  

How anyone could deny the presence of God after witnessing this is beyond me.

My favorite part of the day was when Audrey and Jake, big sister and brother, arrived clad in their special occasion t-shirts.  The look on their faces was pure excitement and wonder.  They ran first to make sure Melissa was okay and then turned directly to check on their new baby sister.  Naturally Jake wanted to squeeze a little too hard.  Audrey, however, seemed to instantly mature as she took immediately to caring for Emma Grace.  She was rubbing her fingers, head, toes, and helped the nurse give her a bath.  While Emma was sleeping, I asked Audrey what she thought baby sister was dreaming about.  She said, "Being a teenager."  Oh, the mind of a child!  She continued saying, "I'll be married then."  After deciding Emma would be one of her bridesmaids, she went back to check on her mom. 

Here is a video documenting Emma's first few hours.  I can't wait to learn all about her.  Please notice how natural and beautiful my sister-in-law looks.  I'm afraid she might not be extended the same invitation because I might scare her on an average morning before make-up, much less after labor.  And don't miss the baby's luscious cheeks.  They are just begging for sweet kisses.


1 comment:

Sheila said...

Simply beautiful. What a blessed family.