View from rooftop of Galeries Lafayette.
My posts are about our Paris trip are going to be quite detailed because I have decided to write everything on here instead of keeping a handwritten journal too. That would just be documentation overload. So, I hope I don't bore you to tears...
Who would have thought the 8 hour flight to Paris would be easier than the 1 1/2 hour flight to Detroit? I guess I should speak for myself though. I slept at least five hours, but Andrew only slept about 1 hour. The food on the flight was decent, but not great. The movie selection made up for the food though. I had to make myself sleep because I really wanted to watch the movies. I did allow myself to watch Under the Same Moon, a beautiful foreign film about a Mexican mother trying to build a better life for her son in America. I definitely had to pretend I wasn't crying at several points in the movie.
Our arrival in Paris went as well as could be expected. We were a
little confused trying to find our shuttle, but we asked someone working at the airport, and he was very helpful. I have found the French to be wonderful as long as you try to speak their language, though I admit that this is only day one. We will see if my story changes over the next several days. Our shuttle bus let us off a couple of blocks too early so we had to tote our luggage over quite a bumpy sidewalk.
After taking a quick nap, we headed out to the city. We cancelled the Historic Paris Walk for today because it was cold and drizzly, and we would have had to rush. Instead, we went straight to Galeries Lafayette, Paris's best department store. I forgot how overwhelmed I get in stores like that. This building that covers an entire block houses six floors, each full of clothes fit for the most stylish Parisian fashionista. I didn't even know where to begin---so I didn't. I didn't buy a thing. Well, except for this dinner.
Travel Tip #3: Don't try to take in everything. Choose one store, floor, or wing and focus on it.
l'Opera...The setting of Phantom of the opera
Department store shopping a la Paris. Yes, the is the ceiling of their department store.
Despite my hour or so of culture shock (including knots in my stomach, thoughts of what are we doing here?, etc.), we are having a great time. After I had to slide under one of the turnstiles, I think we have figured out the metro and RER system.
Travel Tip #4: Don't let your metro ticket get bent in your pocket. Sometimes they like to trick you and they make you use it not only to enter the metro, but to exit as well. Seriously, don't their already know I have paid if I got in?
Incidentally, Andrew has discovered what's behind that certain "Je ne sias pas" of French women that has been talked about for decades. He so brilliantly stated that they have a lazy look in their eyes. You know, like, I don't care what I'm wearing, I don't care what you think of me, I don't care if I'm late, I don't care that I am living in the cultural center of the world, and Yes, I just happen to be beautiful too. Leave it to my husband to break through their facade.

4 comments:
Kid Hatsa!!! I just found this blog after a heads up from my sister. I always knew you all had a blog, but for some reason I never went to it.
I hope you two are having a blast in Paris. Kristen and I both wish we were with you. We miss you guys.
See you two Hatsas later.
Ku
Sounds like a great first day. I hope you get a good nights sleep and have a wonderful day tomorrow. We miss you. Milly misses you. Saw the fireflies tonight. Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us. Dad says have a great time and enjoy. Love MOM
We enjoyed the report also. Be safe and enjoy every minute.
"Vive La France"
Papaw and Mary Ann
On the way to Florida, I sat in the last row..U know the one without a window and everyone asks you if there is someone in the bathroom..Im glad Kallie was not next to me when we landed, I thought I was going to throw up!!
Post a Comment