Monday, June 2, 2008

An Incomplete History Part I

In honor of our fourth anniversary on Thursday, my posts over the next four days will attempt to chronicle our relationship from the beginning.  I am going to try not to edit and revise as much as I normally do because it would take me forever.  It is a bit daunting to put your feelings about the person you love more than anything in this world into words.  Just bear with me...

One of my favorite parts of our story is that Andrew and I went to the same school since second grade (when he moved from Orange County, CA) and even had many of the same friends, but we never spoke or really even noticed each other until our Junior year of high school.  After being in the same school for nine years, we never had a class together until our junior year, and it was none other than Chemistry class.  Oh, the irony!  Andrew sat two seats behind me, but when the person behind me was absent, Andrew moved up to sit right behind me.  Of course I thought that was a sign that he was interested, but he later informed me that he really didn't think of me like that then.  Such an honest boy.  

So, strictly as friends, he asked me to Junior Winter Formal.  This is the same dance that my mother said she wasn't going to buy a dress for until I had a date.  I guess she was concerned that I wouldn't get one.  She was a wise woman because my best friend and I, who had planned every aspect of the dance mind you, were going to spend that weekend in Atlanta because nobody had asked us to go to the dance.  Anyway, I finally got a date.  The moment I remember most from that night was when Andrew held my hand and led me to the dance floor.  My heart melted.  Though, remember, he was still in "just friends" mode. 


Andrew and I at Junior Winter Formal.  Oh how I wish I could change the hair (mine that is)!

Andrew finally called me a few days after school was out Junior year, and we decided to go to the drive-in movie theater in Maryville.  Seems he was going to miss seeing me every day!  So our first official date was at the drive-in with our friends Andrew and Lindsay who were dating then.  When Andrew arrived at my house, my hilarious father (and, no, you are not detecting the slightest bit of sarcasm in my voice) asked Andrew if he would like a Bud Light.  My dad didn't even drink, but he sure thought he was a comedian.  I was so happy to be sitting next to Andrew in the back of my dad's truck that night that I didn't mind the horrible movies that were playing or the pain in my rear area after trying to find a comfortable way to sit in the bed of a truck with four people for about five hours.  

Right after our first date, I left for Europe.  The whole time I just wished Andrew was there with me because everything about Paris, Venice and Nice was romantic.  This truly feels like a full-circle moment since we are headed to Paris in four days.  So, we were inseparable that summer as Andrew came over to swim every day.  If we weren't at the pool, we were watching the Game Show Network.  I still remember the smile on Andrew's face the first time he came over and my mom said, "You can come back anytime."  (She was truly relieved that I finally had a boyfriend.)  When he really smiles, he gets all of these lines on his face.  These pictures just don't do his smile justice.

Andrew and I at our lockers on Senior Hall.

I still remember the night we were leaving Halls Cinema, and Andrew said, "Let's stop by so you can meet my mom."  I was unbelievably nervous.  When we came in, she was so welcoming, and she immediately pulled out their family photo albums.  She spent about an hour showing me pictures of Andrew as a little boy and telling me all about their family.  He was mortified because of all the nude baby photos, but this is one of my favorite memories with his mom.

Andrew and I at Senior Prom.  
(Side note: This is the $20 dollar dress I found the day before prom after 
we threw the $200 custom-made disaster of a dress in the trash.) 

Andrew and I at my house after Graduation.

Just as I thought there wasn't much to say about this picture, I remembered what happened the day before graduation, where I was to give a speech in front of thousands at Thompson-Boling Arena.  Andrew and I, and the rest of my family, were in my front yard hitting a tennis ball with a baseball bat.  I was "pitching" and Andrew was hitting.  He was hitting gentle pop-ups until he suddenly decided to wind up and show us all how hard he could hit the ball.  After leaving the bat, the line drive travelled a few feet and hit directly on my nose.  I thought it couldn't get worse as I was screaming, "I can't feel my face!  I can't feel my face!" Then I remembered that everyone would be focused on my swollen, bruised nose as I was giving my powerful, stirring speech about what kind of people we should be after graduating high school.  That speech was definitely one of the worst moments of my life.  

Andrew and I with Elvis, his first car.

I know that not all of you have the kind of free time I do right now, so I will conclude this wordy, long-winded Part I by saying that I enjoyed every minute of our courtship.  Even a year after we started dating, I still got butterflies in my stomach when Andrew pulled in my driveway.  He was and still is the bright spot of my days.  Stay tuned for Part II tomorrow.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Even though I lived every minute of that courtship with you I am enjoying reading your recollection of it!! BTW, it was a $300 dollar disaster of a prom dress--not that it really matters!!!

AReed said...

Aww..That is sweet! Happy Anniversary (early)!