Friday, June 13, 2008

Again

Again we slept later than we intended.

Again I had the hot chocolate at Angelina.

Again we shopped at Galeries Lafayette.

Again I bought nothing.

Again I realized I can't do department stores.

Again I thought I had lost Andrew.

Again we got separated on either side of the metro turnstile.

Again we took a midday nap.

Again Andrew had pizza at Iolanda down the street.

Again I took too many pictures of the Eiffel Tower.

Again it's 11:00 and sleep is nowhere even close.



I must admit I wasn't all that excited when Andrew said he wanted to do the blog yesterday. A bit selfish? Absolutely. All day I had thought about how I was going to verbalize the sight of those beaches. When I saw Andrew trying to put it into words, though, I was thankful he was doing it because it was quite a task. And what a wonderful job he did. Thanks honey! Hope y'all aren't too disappointed that I'm back. I asked Andrew if he would be a guest blogger now and then, but he doesn't seem to be interested. Y'all can help me talk him into it!





Travel Tip #36: Make sure your husband doesn't out-do you on your blog. Your readers will be disappointed when you return.


So today was purposely not planned before we left so we would have time to tie up loose ends and repeat our favorite things. I couldn't imagine leaving Paris without more of that unbelieveably decadent hot chocolate. I thought I would be able to drink more of it this time, but I could still only drink about half. It is just so rich and thick. It completely coats your mouth and throat. Okay, that makes it sound gross; it is everything but. Andrew took a big manly gulp of it and nearly choked. You have to chase every sip of it with water. I would have normally ordered a pain au chocolat for breakfast, but I knew any more chocolate would be overkill, so I had a plain croissant instead. This will definitely be a place I visit with I come back with the school trip next summer. I am already looking forward to ordering l'Africain again at Angelina.





Angelina, on rue de Rivoli is near Jardin des Tuileries.








I should have taken more time to get a good picture of this stuff, but I was trying to be inconspicuous. The hot chocolate is in the pitcher. Notice all the whipped cream they give you.



Travel Tip #37: Have chocolate for breakfast. A pastry, a drink, your choice. Just try it.


Instead of taking the metro, we took a long (nearly two mile) walk to our next stop: a dog boutique. Uh oh, his style is wearing off on me. Andrew apparantly didn't remember he agreed last night that we should walk instead of take the metro. It was one of our last chances to see the city, so I thought it made perfect sense. He must have been engrossed in watching The Godfather for the tenth time (about 50th overall, the 10th on this trip). The two mile walk took nearly an hour. I had to make a few shopping stops on the way. (Of course that was not the real reason I wanted to walk instead of ride.) Once we made it to the boutique, we found only a few cute things, and they were all way overpriced. I am embarrassed to say we spent about $40 on a pair of doggie socks and a toy for Milly. Oh well, she deserves it. We have missed her so much. Last night I thought I saw her in my suitcase. Not in a weird hallucination kind of way, but in a quick glance, split second kind of way. That is something she would totally do. Crawl into the suitcase, curl up on our clothes, and sleep with her eyes half-open looking completely content. That dog makes us so happy!

Travel Tip #38: Go all out for the people you love the most. Yes, we refer to our dog as a person.


We then went back to Galeries Lafayette to shop. I was looking to buy some clothes. I tried a few things on, but nothing worked. I kept thinking, "I really like that J. Crew dress better. I could just buy that when I get home." I likely won't though because it is much harder to spend that kind of money at home. We'll see. After an hour and a half of shopping, I returned to find Andrew nearly asleep on the couch in the middle of the store. I hadn't bought a thing. I guess it's just a girl thing, but I really did enjoy looking and trying on even though I left with nothing. He sure didn't understand that. We went downstairs to buy the Mademoiselle Coco Chanel perfume (I finally made a decision), but when I saw the price, I just couldn't do it. It was 70 euros for the small one. That is about $110. Even on vacation that is just too much.

Travel Tip #39: Don't lose your common sense. I can buy that perfume for about $50 cheaper at home.

Travel Tip #40: When you know you don't shop well in department stores, don't insist on going back.

Travel Tip #41: Men, or Andrew at least, prefers going in and out of stores, not waiting at one. It seems to make the time go by faster.



So, we moved to the next building. Maison Lafayette. This is their store for items for the home. I found my sweet spot. It is so much easier for me to spend money on things for the house rather than on clothes. I bought several fun things there. Then we went to Lafayette Gourmet, their grocery store, to pick up a few things to take back home. I am totally addicted to butter cookies, so I bought a supply to last a few weeks!





I will do a post when we get home of all the things I have bought. I had some reservations about doing this because I don't want it to seem as if that was the best part of the trip or anything, but it was definitely fun to shop around. Plus, I always want to remember the exact brand of those butter cookies and where I purchased certain things. I'm sure I will give much more detail than you are interested in.



We stopped and ate at Iolanda for the third time. Actually, it was really Andrew's meal, but I did have a piece. This is a rundown of everything I have eaten today. Breakfast: hot chocolate and croissant. Lunch: bread and doughnuts. Dinner: baguette and raspberries. Dessert: chocolate ice cream cone. I'm definitely in need of some greens when we get home! I'm looking forward to mom's traditional Sunday lunch. No pressure or anything, Mom, but we haven't had a well-rounded meal in a week. I know Andrew is counting on you!

Travel Tip #42: There will always be spinach, broccoli and salad at home. Get that pain au chocolat, cup of l'Africain, baguette and raspberries while you can.




After another nap, we went to say goodbye to the Eiffel Tower. As if I didn't have enough pictures already.








What else could I possible say?








I just couldn't decide if I would want a picture with the trees or without. Again, such tough decisions to make while on vacation.

Travel Tip #43: Take as many pictures as your camera will allow. I think these just might be better (after I edit and enhance) than all those cheesey paintings they sell on the street.




Well, we are all packed up. Three suitcases worth. If all goes as planned, we will be in Knoxville by 9:00 tomorrow night. We are going to try to stay awake for most of the plane ride home to try to get back on the right time zone. I'm sure it won't be a problem for Andrew, but I'm a little worried about me. I have a couple of Andy Stanley sermons to listen to, and I can watch movies on the plane. That should help. Of course I always wake up for the food and snacks too!



Travel Tip #44: Pack a suitcase inside a suitcase so you don't have to worry about having enough space to bring things home.

Thank you all for following along with us. You would be surprised how much your comments mean to me. It's the first thing I check in the morning! Amy, I miss seeing you everyday. Hope your training for LeConte is going well in our 90 degree weather. I'm sure I will be posting a few more times about Paris once we get home. I definitely want to reflect on the trip as a whole, and I'm going to make an iMovie of our pictures and video.



I have the prize package all packed up. The lucky person is getting a good one. Don't forget your deadline is midnight Saturday. I'll post the winner on Sunday.

No comments: