I have counted and recounted about ten times just now, but Andrew and I only dated for two years before he proposed. It seemed like so much longer at the time. We started talking about marriage before we were even out of high school. We just couldn't imagine waiting much longer to get married. I guess I should only speak for myself, but there was never a doubt in my mind that he was the one I was to spend the rest of my life with.
Because we had been talking about it, I knew the proposal was coming. We were going to California with his immediate family to visit his mom's extended family during the summer, and I just knew that he was going to propose at sunset on Huntington Beach after taking me out to a nice dinner. I actually remember telling my mom I should buy a new dress for the occasion. Boy, I sure had it all wrong!
Andrew knew I was expecting it, so he did things a little differently. He definitely wins the prize for shock factor as he decided to propose two days before we left for California. That wasn't the shocking part though. I guess I was caught off guard because he proposed while telling me good night at my house - so it seemed just like any other night. There are no pictures of this momentous occasion because I was dressed in my nappy, worn pajamas with nothing on my face but acne cream. What a lovely image of the person he was to spend the rest of his life with! He gave me a beautiful emerald cut diamond in a cathedral setting. It is exactly what I would have picked out myself.

Andrew and me with Audrey at the Riverside Mission Inn days after he proposed.

One of our engagement pictures.
I have very fond memories of our engagement because I loved every minute of the wedding planning process. I'm glad I didn't scare Andrew off during that year. I don't think I was a bridezilla or anything, but the wedding was all I talked about. We were so blessed to have supportive family and friends who never once questioned the fact that we were 19 years old, in college, only working part-time and getting married. I'm sure it didn't make sense to many of them, but we knew we were doing the right thing.

Andrew and me at one of our many showers.
After an engagement party, a bridesmaids luncheon, and four wedding showers, the wedding day finally arrived. I always thought I would be stressed and nervous, but I have never felt more confident or more full of life than I did that day. It wasn't just the best or most significant day of my life, it really was the most fun day. We had a blast. Being surrounded by all the people we loved most in the world was a wonderful way to start our marriage.

Andrew's favorite wedding picture.

My favorite unplanned, unposed wedding picture.

Our photographer, Suzanne Saltzman, was one of the best
wedding planning decisions we made.
And off we went on our honeymoon. We stayed at the Knoxville Marriott the first night and the Atlanta Ritz-Carlton the next night. Our final destination was Seaside, Florida at the Colors 3 Cottage for the next four days. It is such a picture perfect (but expensive) town. We went to Modica Market, the only grocery store there, and bought two filets and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese: The Cheesiest. Back at our cottage, the two 20 year old newlyweds figured out how to use a charcoal grill and cook steak for the first time. To this day, it is still the best steak I have ever had. Ye Olde Steakhouse has nothing on Andrew!

Andrew and me in Seaside, Florida.
Stay tuned tomorrow for the reality of being married, working part-time, having a mortgage, going to college and trying to eat!

No comments:
Post a Comment