- Comment on THIS post. Click on comment, type your answers in the box and either create a google account or sign in if you already have one. (Note: Many people make the mistake of typing their account name instead of their e-mail address. That won't work. For example, I have to type scmcaffry@comcast.net for my username, not SarahM.)
- Tell me who you are and how you know me. (If you don't know me, tell me how you found my blog.)
- Tell me your favorite vacation destination AND
- Tell me your best travel tip. Who knows, maybe I will utilize it before we leave this lovely city.
Un, deux, trois. Easy enough. The winner will receive a prize package from La Grande Epicerie Paris, the best grocery store in Paris! I will choose the winner using the Random Integer function on random.org. If you live out of town, I will ship it to you---UPS of course, so you will get it quickly. If you are family and would likely be getting a gift anyway, you will get this one too. Bonus for you! Check out tonight's post to see why I am in such a generous mood.
**Oops. Since this is contest #1, I forgot to add a deadline. Your comment must be entered by Saturday at midnight EST. I know many of you who read this thing. I want to hear from all of you!

12 comments:
You know all that other stuff about me, so I'm getting straight to the travel tip. You probably already know it, but here goes.
Get away from the normal tourist spots.
In my touring around, I have noticed that people in touristy spots are more rude than in local spots. It is a bit scary to venture off the beaten path, but the rewards are getting to know that country how it really is.My most frustrating time in Italy was trying jump from tourist spot to tourist spot in Rome. I know, there are things you must see (Eiffel Tower etc...) but never miss the hidden back alley eateries and the neighborhood grocery stores ( for cheap good meals etc..)The people there aren't already burned out on tourists and will treat you as someone special not just another tourist asking questions.And to take this one step further, go to a small town that sees virtually no tourists. You will be amazed at how differently you are treated.
Travel tips from me??!! I only know how to send YOU on trips (before you were married of course!) You take care of your own now! I could say that something as common as Disney is my favorite destination. We do have wonderful memories from there; and I did love our FIRST trip to New York. But I would have to say my trips to Cumberland Island were the best. From my limited experience, it is the most beautiful place on earth.
Love,MOM
I bet you are having a blast Sarah! My Favorite place to go is Disneyworld, but the next best place would be Culebra, Puerto Rico. Travel tips?? Im not sure I have one. The only thing I would say is enjoy every second and go with the flow. Not the winning comment..I know!
Hello dear! I hope you both are having a wonderful trip! I was directed to your blog from Facebook several days ago and must admit that I've been quite addicted. I adore your stories about the crazy Parisians - mostly because I know they're true! They never cease to amaze me!
So, my favorite vacation destination would have to be St. Lucia in the Southern Caribbean. It's absolutely beautiful. My only advice is similar to what you've already received - make sure and talk to the locals. They'll always know some wonderful restaurants, shopping, and other adventures that you will not find in a travel guide. (Of course, this is significantly easier when you speak their language.) The spare hair straightener is key, too!
You all have a wonderful vacation and a safe trip back home!
Since this is my first comment, I guess I can say about anything and it will be ok. I am enjoying walking with you guys through the cafes and the groceries. I'm glad you have had more success with the culture. People being rude is hard to take but your speaking the Languauge is bound to make a big difference. I mean you are your daddy's girl!!!!!
See everything you can, get as tired as you can. Remember, you can sleep when you get home!!! Love Dad
# Tell me who you are and how you know me. (If you don't know me, tell me how you found my blog.)
-My name is Luke Mathews and my wife's name is Kristen. I know you because I went to school with you (middle and high school). I am one of your husband's best friends and we speak a different language together. My sister gave me a heads up about your blog. I also went to the Y-teen formal with you! I've got to get brownie points for that. Although, you wouldn't dance with me. Well, you would slow dance with me, but you wouldn't do the twist or anything like that.
# Tell me your favorite vacation destination
My favorite vacation destination would be traveling out in the west United States visiting national parks (Grand Canyon, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, etc). You can't forget to camp (forget staying in the lodge, you can do that at home) and you can't forget to fish and hike.
# Tell me your best travel tip.
Tough question. I would say always stay positive and be optimistic. Whenever I have traveled, if someone (including myself) was in a bad mood and griped all the time, it dang near ruined it for everybody else. You're spending precious money and time to go places you have never gone; so enjoy it. When we're away from home, we tend to gripe and complain about everything we don't like. Use the time to grow as a person, have a good attitude, and broaden your cultural perspectives.
Love you guys,
Luke
Hi Sarah (or should I say Sophie?) - this is Andrea from high school! I, too, was directed here when you got your facebook account and have enjoyed reading your thoughtful entries.
My favorite vacation destination is England, specifically the north (whether the cities like Manchester, Liverpool, and Newcastle, or rural areas like the Lake District and parts of Yorkshire). I spent six months in the northeast in 2005 and did quite a bit of traveling around the region and country.
Advice? Let's see... be a pack rat. Save stuff. Ticket stubs, receipts, pamphlets, small plants [don't tell customs], coins, menus, and other ephemera. They help recreate the texture of the experience and jog the memory as the years pass.
On a more practical level, I also try to make sure I understand a city/region's public transit system before I go - where the stations are in relation to my lodgings and destinations, what they cost, when things run. Most systems have timetables online now (this is most important for less accessible, rural areas).
Have a great rest-of-your-vacation!
Hey Sarah! It's Courtney.I saw your blog on Facebook and I am also quite addicted to hearing what you are up to in Paris. It reminds me of when I went in high school. Hope you are having a fabulous time! I can't believe you've been married for 4 years.
I've known you for as long as I can remember so I can't really remember how we met. But we had some fun times at church and on trips.
I think everyone who has blogged has great travel tips. I think for me the best thing is to bring some frizz treatment for my hair because it always turns into a crazy mess of curls when I leave the wonderful Tennessee weather. Also, I think the best thing is to relax and don't worry about doing everything there is to do at your destination. You will wear yourself out and need a vacation when you get home.
I really love to go to Florida. I went to Tampa in January and really loved it. I enjoyed Germany when I went there in high school too. It was so beautiful and clean. It was completely the opposite of Paris.
I look forward to reading the rest of your blogs. Have fun on the rest of your trip!
Sarah and Andrew -- We are enjoying your blog! We are reliving our trip to Paris before the turn of the century...no the most recent one of course!
John and I have known you, Sarah, since you were in elementary school. We have gotten to know you and your family through church.
Sherry's Tip: Leave home with low expectations for your trip and all the flexibility you can muster. The flexibility will be needed for the unexpected delays and strikes. When you start out with low expectations the whole trip exceeds your expectations!
Sherry's Favorite Travel Location: It is so hard to pick just one place...can I pick more than one? My short list is Rothenburg, Germany; Venice and Rome; and Paris, of course.
John's Tip: Nobody is more thrifty (read "cheap") than I am, but regardelss don't forget about the cost of a missed opportunity. In other words, don't hesitate to spend a little (too much?) money on experiences you can't get anywhere else in the world. Example: $50/hr for a private tour guide in Rome (but only for 3 hours - I DO have limits!).
John's favorite travel location: Europe (sorry -- it's too difficult to narrow it down)
We're looking forward to the rest of your posts!
Au Revoir!
I am Amy Williams, and I am a cyber-stalker type. I read your blog all the time and then read your mom's. I know you from school, and you are one of my very favorite people.
Favorite Destination:
I love the beach, any beach, but especially Litchfield Beach just down from Myrtle Beach. Oh, and Gulf Shores, AL is also beautiful.
Travel Tip:
Save some unscheduled time to just lounge with your sweetie and talk about how much fun the two of you are having.
I have LOVED reading your posts about your trip. I didn't get to talk to you before you left for Paris, so we'll have to catch up when you get home. Glad you are doing your travel journal online! I love reading about your time there. Tell Andrew he did a great job on the Normandy description. It was my favorite part of your trip so far.
Love you!
Amy
Post a Comment