Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cades Cove Training Run


This is a disappointing way to start, but I just checked the mileage on the Cades Cove Loop, and though I have always been told it was 11 miles, it is actually only 10.  What?  Only 10 miles?  For some reason there seems to be quite a difference between 10 miles and 11 miles.  11 seems like much more of an accomplishment.  Oh well.  We ran the entire 10 mile loop without stopping once.  If you saw me running up a few of the last hills, you might have though I was walking, but I assure you, I was not.  I was moving as fast as my legs would allow.

We have recently discovered the power of Gu.  That stuff is awesome.  Rachel eats it like you are supposed to.  All at once.  A solid burst of energy.  I, on the other hand, nibble on it for the last few miles.  I think it helps me mentally more than anything.  

The beginning of our run was absolutely amazing.  At first I wished I had a camera so I could share what I saw, but I think it would have cheapened it somehow.  There is no way a camera could have captured that kind of beauty.  God was definitely present as the sun rose over the mountains through the shimmering fog.  The new Andrew Peterson record was the perfect accompaniment to this sight.  

Actually God showed up in several ways - maybe because I was begging him to give me the strength to make it over all the hills.  Seriously though, the best moment of the day was when this old couple pulled to the side of the road and held out two bottles of water for us. This was probably around mile 8.  Translation - just when we needed it.  I love when Jesus shows up unexpectedly.  I pray that I will make myself available to be used by him in this way.  This couple really ministered to me today.   

So we are almost exactly a month away from the half-marathon.  I am just over halfway with the Running Hope goal of $500.  Thanks again for those who have contributed.  

It took me a few minutes, but I decided to post this photo of us sans shower, makeup, and hair product.  I hope I don't regret this.  And I hope Rachel will still be my friend.

My new running shoes gave me a little boost today.  Totally worth the investment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of y'all!

Amy "Welch" Shave said...

Did Rachel de-friend you? I didn't see the pictures :(
I am so proud (and a little jealous) of you for finishing and that is so cool that couple gave you water!
Thanks again for brunch Sunday! It was delicious!

Sheila said...

Congratulations!! Are you kidding me? Ya'll look great; young, healthy and beautiful!!

Sarah C said...

If Amy 2 hadn't mentioned brunch, I wouldn't have known which was which! It's always a guessing game with the Amy comments.

kp said...

10 miles?!? Ignorance truly is bliss. It was a gorgeous morning but the next time we run--no pics. Hasta manana friend.

AReed said...

I wish I could run 10 miles just so you could take a picture of me and see what rough really looks like...haha..Good job you guys!