Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Catalyst 08 - Jim Collins

One of the most interesting things about the speakers at Catalyst is that they aren't necessarily speaking from a religious perspective. Jim Collins studies "enduring great companies -- how they grow, how they attain superior performance, and how good companies can become great companies." I'm not sure if Collins would claim to be a Christian or not, but he often referred to the audience as "you" and seemed to think of himself as "other." I love that the Catalyst leaders look outside the Christian world to find speakers who will stretch us and even make us uncomfortable. Here are some of the highlights from his talk:
  • In order to become great, you must create a culture of discipline. This is especially true in a classroom full of teenagers!
  • The great fall by overreaching. Overreaching is the undisciplined pursuit of more.
  • Don't compromise the quality of the "people on the bus" (a metaphor for the people in your church, business, etc.) just for growth.
  • The defining characteristic of the great Fortune 500 CEO's is humility.
  • It is dangerous when a church/business becomes dependent on a powerful personality. The true test of greatness is whether or not it can go on without you.
  • A To-Do List without an equal Stop-Doing List is undisciplined. This is brilliant. I love it, but I'm having trouble implementing it!
  • If you have more than three, you have no priorities.
  • Good intentions are no excuse for incompetence.
  • Work is infinite, time is finite.
  • Build a personal Board of Directors. Seek their advice, and ask them questions.
  • Be interested, not interesting.
  • Schedule white days on your calendar. Turn off the gadgets and think.
  • Get young people in your face. Ummm, I think I've got this one down!
  • Pay your mentors back by mentoring others.
  • Greatness is a consequence of choice and discipline - not circumstance.

I think I should laminate these and post them around my house and classroom. Hope you find some of these useful.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Very thought provoking. I am having to read and re-read them.

kp said...

Thanks for sharing. I've been showing your highlights to Jason in hopes of luring him there next year--so keep posting. TGIF