Sunday, October 26, 2008

The New 3 R's

The theme of my Fall Break was Reading, Running and Refueling.  

Reading:
My students have all been reading the Twilight series.  I swore I wouldn't read them.  After all, they are about vampires.  I have never been into any of the kind of stuff.  I prefer Realism.  Anyhow, I finally decided I would try them when one of my students let me borrow hers.  I started the first 500 page book about a week and a half ago, and I have now finished the first three books of the series (all between 500 and 600 pages).  I tell you the length not to brag on my reading skills, but because it proves what kind of reading it is.  The books don't have much depth, so they are a quick read.  I just got really into the storyline.  I can't wait to borrow the fourth and latest book of the series to find out how Bella's parents will take the news that she is marrying a vampire!!

Running:
One would assume that after a 10 (not 11...insert huff of frustration) mile run on Wednesday, that a 7 mile run on Saturday would have been no big deal.  However, after procrastinating all day Saturday, when I finally started running, I decided 5 sounded more reasonable.  Around mile 1.5, I decided 3.5 miles sounded even better.  Looks like a long run Monday to make up for the Fall-Break-induced-laziness.  

Refueling:
This is really just a euphemism for eating A LOT.  One of my favorite things about running long distance is that I really have to eat more.  (Well, that's what I tell myself anyway.)  So over the break I made my favorite blueberry muffins and a delicious apple pie.  Tonight I made corn chowder that requires a full pound of bacon and then you mix the grease with flour and pour it all in.  Mmmm Mmmm.  I'm trying to make one big meal each week, so I can freeze half to eat on a busy night.  So far the lasagna, chili, and spinach pasta have worked well.  Anybody have other suggestions?  I'm off to eat some yummy corn chowder!

No comments: