Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pacific Coast Itinerary

Wednesday
  • Fly out of McGhee-Tyson at 5:50 AM EST - Yikes!
  • Arrive at LAX at 9:01 AM PST
  • Pick up Convertible Jeep Wrangler
  • Insert California Soundtrack (See below)
  • Visit with family
  • Check in hotel in Newport Beach
  • Eat at Spaghetti Factory with family
Thursday
  • Laguna Beach Crystal Cove State Park
  • Visit with family
  • Rehearsal dinner
Friday
  • Huntington Beach Farmer's Market
  • Eat at Ruby's on the pier
  • Beach time 
  • Try not to get swept up in these massive waves
  • Hang with family
Saturday
  • Convince Andrew or one of his cousins to go shopping - Fashion Island (Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters) or South Coast Plaza (H&M and Zara) - How can I choose?
  • Visit with family
  • Ricky and Laura's Wedding
Sunday
  • Begin drive to San Francisco on Pacific Coast Highway
  • Breakfast at Le Pain on Santa Monica Boulevard (Try not to draw stares from locals while belting it out with Sheryl Crow)
  • Regret not going to Francis Chan's church and the Reagan Library in exchange for seeing the coastline around Malibu
  • Stop at Stearns Wharf - Santa Barbara
  • Drive through Solvang feeling like I'm back in Holland
  • Dinner at Taco Temple
  • Soak in jacuzzi while enjoying the (partial) view of Morro Bay 
Monday
  • Hike at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park
  • Stop at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park
  • Drive through Carmel-by-the-Sea
  • Picnic somewhere along 17 Mile Drive (including Pebble Beach and the Lone Cypress)
  • Stop in Monterey
Tuesday
  • Steinbeck Center (yippee!)
  • Drive past San Fran over the Golden Gate Bridge to Point Reyes National Seashore
  • Muir Woods to see redwoods 
  • Sausalito
  • Golden Bridge
  • Stay in Union Square, San Fran
Wednesday
  • Try to see San Francisco in one day!
  • Ride cable car to Fisherman's Wharf
  • View of Alcatraz
  • Ghiradelli Square
  • Lunch at Grand Hyatt on 36th floor - Reservation at 1:00 
  • Explore around Union Square
  • Dinner somewhere close to hotel
Thursday
  • Fly out of SFO at 12:40 AM PST
  • Arrive at McGhee-Tyson at 11:51 AM EST
California Soundtrack (courtesy of Andrew)
  • What's My Age Again? - Blink 182
  • Runnin' Down a Dream - Tom Petty
  • Reelin' In the Years - Steely Dan
  • California Love - 2Pac
  • Beverly Hills - Weezer
  • All I Wanna Do - Sheryl Crow
  • Santa Monica - Everclear
  • Surf Wax America - Weezer
  • Cruisin' - Huey Lewis and the News
  • Misirlou - Dick Dale and His Del-Tones
  • Surf City - Jan & Dean
  • Groovin' - The Rascals
  • You're My Best Friend - Queen
  • Wonderful - Everclear
  • Yakety Sax - Boots Randolph (ugh!)
  • Day Tripper - The Beatles
  • American Woman - Lenny Kravitz
  • A Long December - Counting Crows
  • R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A. - John Mellencamp
  • California - Joni Mitchell
  • Let's Get Together - The Youngbloods
  • San Francisco - Scott McKenzie

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Phew!!I am tired just thinking about it! Kudos on your itinerary planning. Please be careful and enjoy!! Can I have a copy of the soundtrack so Milly and I can pretend like we are along for the ride??

Amy Williams said...

Kirk and I went to San Francisco 5 or 6 years ago and rode down the coast from San Francisco to Carmel / Pebble Beach. It is a BEAUTIFUL drive and you will LOVE it. I can't wait to hear about your trip. We did a boat tour around SF Bay and GG Bridge area. It was so beautiful. TAKE SWEATERS AND JEANS. It was around 50 degrees when we went. You don't think about California being cold in July, but it is!! You and I are cold-natured, so that is my VERY best advice.

Amy Williams said...

By the way, because I was travelling with a very devoted Deadhead, we went to Haight Ashbury to see the house the Grateful Dead shared there. Golden Gate Park is around that neighborhood. It is a funky, hippy area. Kind of fun to watch the weirdos.

We loved Muir Woods. We hiked to a watchtower and made some GREAT pics. I don't remember the name, but it was a good hike.

Oh, what about the crookedest street in the world?

Sarah C said...

Thanks Amy. You know me well!

Mark B said...

I once ate at the Fishermans Wharf in Morro Bay and watched the sun set and the moon rise at the same time! Stunning! Have fun!

Rachel said...

I missed the Weinersnitchzel (sp?) in the line-up. I definitely think that you're maximizing your time there and I can't wait to read about it! Amy, it's Lombard St.