Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Least of These


Today Mom graciously offered to go with me to KARM as I took pictures of the families in their resident program. I tried to be a big girl by offering to go by myself, but when I heard the workers in the lobby discussing the fight from a couple days ago where one guy jumped another, I was pretty thankful she was with me. After overhearing that slightly worrisome discussion, we were escorted to the courtyard reserved for families, and I settled in behind my camera and began shooting. It was a total blast.

I was told the moms and kids spent all morning fixing hair, pulling out their best clothes, and getting ready for their pictures. One little girl even changed clothes and came back for a second session once everyone else had left. Too cute!

We were honored to meet some very special families. Three couples had recently been married, and one actually said "I do" just hours before I snapped their pictures. After knowing each other for 18 years, they seemed pretty excited to have their pictures made to document this special day. One lady in particular grabbed my heart as she told me what a blessing it was that I came today. Her red bandana hid the effects of her recent chemotherapy treatment - and she was the one blessed today? Man I needed that.

Reminds me of an old, wise man (just kidding about the old part!) that once said (and by once, I mean, a few weeks ago) his time spent pouring himself into others is when he felt closest to Jesus.  Amen.

Thanks to all of the generous people who supported this effort.  I'll be delivering the frames and albums next week!  


1 comment:

Sheila said...

One of the hilights of my summer. Truly a blessing for me.