Friday, July 31, 2009

Cruisin'


It's totally worth all the trouble to drive this lovely thing around.  Easy for me to say I guess - watching Andrew do all the work!  Actually, we only put the top up that one time.  It hasn't rained since April so there's no need to.

While Andrew was playing golf with cousin Derron, I went to South Coast Plaza with Susan, Grandma Shirley, Lynn and Ian.  That sure is a pricey mall!  Definitely out of my league.  I didn't make it to H&M because it wasn't actually in the mall, but we did mosey into Macy's.  The minute we walked in, we were attacked by the Benefit girls.

They roped us in to their event and within seconds we were all sitting in the chairs having really, really expensive makeup plastered on our faces.  Sadly, I could actually tell a difference in their produce versus the cheapest stuff I can usually find at Wal-Mart.  Good for the face, bad for the wallet.

They thought it was so cute that the girl from Tennessee wanted her picture made.  I think they were just shocked I was wearing shoes.

Poor Susan got stuck with the really pushy lady who had a pile of $200 worth of makeup waiting at the cash register for her to buy.  

I was glad to help her pick a few of the products instead of the whole shebang, but the woman kept at it saying the products just wouldn't work the same without the others.  When I told her Susan could just buy the other products some other time in Knoxville, she couldn't believe that we actually had access to Benefit in Knoxville.  These people sometimes!

Grandma Shirley, not to be confused with my Mamaw Shirley, treated herself to a little blush and lipstick.

Aunt Lynn made me only slightly jealous when I saw their mascara on her.  Definitely in the plans for my future spending!

After shopping for a few hours, everybody was winding down, but my day was just beginning. We had a few hours left before the rehearsal dinner, so I hopped in the Jeep by myself to go back to the hotel to get ready - or so everyone thought!  After making a wrong turn where I ended up circling the entire mall, I found my way back to the hotel only to remember that I saw a sign to Fashion Island the previous day.  Feeling adventurous, I kept on driving the streets of Newport Beach until I found it.  This may be attributed to my mother who was never afraid to pack up Matt and me and hit the road to Louisiana or Arkansas by herself.  It could also be because this is the first thing I heard when I turned the key in the ignition...

It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin
The trees went by, me and del were singin
Little runaway, I was flyin
~ Tom Petty "Runnin' Down a Dream"

Fashion Island was even more than I could have hoped for.  The minute I walked into Bloomingdale's  I saw the Longchamps section - my favorite new purse from Paris.  See?  I told you they would be making it Stateside soon!  I didn't realize it was an open-air mall, but why wouldn't it be in this climate?  Then, the first thing I laid my eyes on outside the doors of Bloomingdale's was none other than Anthropologie.  Hello!  

I ended up spending so much time in there that I hardly had any time left, but I left with a complete outfit - a rarity for me.  The pants I bought were originally $118 marked down to $29 and thought the jacket's tag was missing, I'm sure it was at least $100 also marked down to $29.  My one full price purchase was a beautiful delicate gold necklace, for a reasonable $39, that I will probably wear more often than I should!

Feeling a little remorseful about all my big purchases, I decided to return the Benefit You Rebel I bought (I kept the High Brow though!) since Fashion Island had a Macy's too.  Wow.  I really underestimated the look I would get from the saleswoman.  They must not understand the concept of the return here.  It's one of the fundamentals of my shopping methods!  She just didn't understand why I didn't want to exchange it for the lighter color.  It really was too dark.  They only have two shades, and since when have I ever needed anything in the darker shade?  She finally forked my cash back over, and I felt better about the day.

Then I walked out to door to this view.  The picture doesn't do it justice.  The ocean was such a vibrant, beautiful hue.  This really is the luxe life.

The day ended with the rehearsal dinner at Lone-Star Steakhouse.  Love those free meals!

Andrew with this golf and baseball buddy, Derron, and Uncle Rick who made us the most delicious breakfast that I even forgot to take a picture.  Homemade waffles with whole raspberry syrup, bacon, eggs, and a fresh fruit smoothie.  

We sure are living it up on this trip, and it's only gonna get better from here!

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I sure would have loved to have been with you for the shopping adventures. Milly says "hey!" Have fun and enjoy! Dad wants to know how Andrew's golf game went...