Saturday, May 30, 2009

Simply Magical

Last night's performance of Les Miserables in London's West End was one of the best live performances I've ever seen. It wasn't necessarily the voices or the acting, but rather the story that was so utterly moving. I was trying to slyly wipe my tears away, but I'm afraid I didn't fool anybody. I saw the musical once in high school, but I guess the themes were just too mature for me to really understand. Such a beautiful story - definitely at the top of my reading list for the summer. Bravo Victor Hugo.

Hugo actually sketched this image that is still used on all the advertisements today.

The lovely ladies all dressed up for a night on the town.

Our 6:30 wake-up call was quite important so we wouldn't miss our train to Paris. The Eurostar gets you from London to Paris in barely over two hours (just enough time to make up for sleep lost due to a blogging addiction!). In fact, I slept through the part where we went under the English Channel. It happened so fast, nobody even realized we were in France until they announced we were almost in Paris.

Les stupides Americains packed so much that we had to take half of our luggage to another train. Minor problem: one of our students lost a flip flop in the gap between the platform and the train. Luckily, it must happen often because a man quickly saved the day with a nifty tool that snatched it right up.


Since I missed the whole riding under the English Channel thing, I'm not sure whether this is the English or the French countryside. It's a beautiful countryside nonetheless.

While the kids were touring the Louvre, several of us ventured into the Jardin des Tuileries for some cold beverages on this beautiful summer day.

Sweet Cindy doesn't speak a lick of French but her good looks go a long way with French waiters. One of them today said all she had to say was "Je t'aime," and he would bring her whatever she wanted.

Madame let me try her citron presse (fancy lemonade). Very light and refreshing.

I have so enjoyed getting to talk with Angelique. She is the ultimate tour guide. She spent the entire Eurostar ride planning a trip for the tourists sitting next to her.

I went for the good stuff. Tap water just would not do sitting outside the Louvre Museum.


To keep up with the kids on the metro, we have them divided into small groups. I have six that I must count everywhere we go, and these are two of them. Such pleasant girls. I haven't heard a complaint or negative comment from them the entire trip.

The reverse pyramid under the Louvre.

This is actually a bridal party on a scavenger hunt in the Louvre. The bride asked all the married women in our group about the secret of a good marriage. I said putting the other person's needs before your own. Easier said than done, huh?

The gardens of some important king. Forgive me. My feet hurt.

I think Steven agrees with my sentiment. We are definitely getting our exercise to earn all that yummy food!

I don't know how she timed it so perfectly, but Angelique had us at the Arc de Triomphe as the sun was going down. The lighting was just breathtaking.

So massive, yet intricate and detailed.

We will not be short on pictures to document these wonderful memories. Cameras everywhere.
The view from the top of the Arc de Triomphe is the best view in Paris - even better than the Eiffel Tower. I can't believe I have missed it on my previous trips.

I wish the camera could capture the twinkling lights. Simply magical. (I'm beginning to run out of adjectives here. Sorry if that sounded like a Disney commercial.)
The picture does not accurately reflect the beauty of this sunset.

Okay, I totally look underdressed in this picture, but after the steep climb, the jacket and scarf just had to come off.

Climbing the 254 stairs allowed for some extra sweets tonight! I tasted somebody's macaroon from Laduree tonight and will definitely return for my own tomorrow!

Hope to see this lovely gentleman tomorrow at Roland Garros! Apparently we can't buy tickets at the ticket office anymore so I hope my mediocre French speaking skills will work with the scalpers. The Williams sisters and Nadal are worth the trouble!

5 comments:

Sheila said...

I hope you get some rest tonight!! Good luck tomorrow. I so want you get in to the Open. Loved all the pictures and the commentary. You still crack me up. I think others find you entertaining now, but remember I laughed at you when no one else thought you were funny!! Just kidding. Have fun. Love mom
P.S. Have not heard from Dad yet..

kp said...

Beside Nadal, my favorite blog pic was the stairs. I've never seen Les Mis, but it is now on my list. It looks like the weather has been really nice so far. Good luck haggling today.

Sarah C said...

The weather could not possibly be better. It feels like Southern California! Mom, hope you and Matt have fun in the ATL!

The Adkins Family said...

This is just a thought but after a viewing of Les Miserables, you might want to rethink your caption on the 2nd picture of this post. Just sayin'...

- Greg

Sarah C said...

I wish I could say I planned that comment.