After dinner last night, we headed to the Harry Pottery platform. I don't really even know if that's what it's called - I've never read or seen it. Most of the kids were pretty pumped about it though.
Actually, they showed more excitement here than anywhere else so far.
Did you know the name Big Ben refers not to the clock tower but to the bell? Interesting. Very interesting.
We strolled along the Thames River at dusk last night and got a great view of the London Eye. It was originally supposed to be a temporary fixture (as was the Eiffel Tower), but now has been confirmed for the next twenty years when it will go up for review again. (Okay, every bit of that was straight from the tour guide's mouth. But aren't you glad I shared that fascinating piece of information?)

It takes thirty minutes to ride it. It may look like a ferris wheel, but the little pods make me a bit nervous. They look so unstable. Luckily, errr - Sadly, we didn't have time for it.
We definitely don't stand out. Nope. Not at all.
This morning our local guide took us on a bus tour around the city - yay for giving the hooves a break! We hopped off the bus to walk around St. Paul's Cathedral. In the past I have never been too impressed with cathedrals. Yes, I have always appreciated the work, time and talent that goes into them, but they have always seemed so garrish and overdone. I don't know if this cathedral is really different or if I am just old enough to really see it, but it almost brought me to tears. There are only a few stained glass windows. The architect, Christopher Wren wanted clear glass to let as much light in as possible. Great choice if I may say so myself. And the mosaics commissioned by Queen Victoria are simply breathtaking.
The most astonishing thing about the cathedral, though, was the fact that the area behind the altar is actually dedicated to Americans who lost their lives in WWII. Unbelievable that they would give space in one of their most treasured buildings for this purpose. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine our country doing something like this. And can I also mention that their September 11th memorial is much more intentional and thoughtful that ours? I hope this is corrected soon.
I desperately need a wide angle lens to capture these massive buildings.
We didn't even try to get close to Buckingham Palace. Look at that crowd.
We took our place back on the road to watch the Changing of the Guards.
Their love of tradition and ceremony is evident.
In this economy, some are questioning the necessity of the monarchy. Must be a sizable chunk of the country's budget.
The London Bridge. I have nothing else to say. Need to brush up on my British history.
We had to do the typical fish and chips meal. Not totally impressed, but we couldn't find a decent looking place. We had to go with the neon-sign touristy stand. Glad I had it though.
The food hall in this place was just beautiful. Can you imagine doing your regular grocery shopping in a place like this?
Cindy and I took a small group to shop at Harrod's while the rest went to the Crown Jewels. For a minute I was worried I would regret not seeing the crowns and jewels and all, but heck, I can look it up on Google right? We were in need of some serious shopping time! Those Brits didn't know what hit them when Cindy walked in. She was taking their pictures, getting free samples and sweet-talking them with her Southern-belle charm. She loved them, and they loved her. I just stood back and watched the show!
Cindy insisted that she buy my bear. I wish Mom could be here with me, but Cindy sure is a good substitute.
Okay it's 1:00 in the morning and my alarm is set for 6:00. I'll fill you in on tonight's dinner and show tomorrow. We have to catch the Eurostar to Paris bright and early! Thanks so much for sharing this blog with me. I look forward to writing it each night to remember every single wonderful moment from the trip!

5 comments:
Tell Cindy that I appreciate her being your substitute mom! It makes me feel better. Remember your 8th grade trip to NYC? Then it was Candy Foster! You must be exhausted! I was beginning to worry that we were not going to get an update tonight! Dad is leaving in a few hours. Matt and I are leaving in the morning for the ATL! Take care and be safe. MOM
If you could read the Twilight books with a straight face, you should give the Harry Potter books a chance... I bet you would enjoy them once you got into them.
- Greg
Favorite fun fact of the blog: Big Ben is a bell. All these years I've lived in the dark. I'm sure the next thing your going to say is that the tooth fairy is really my mom. Take care.
platform 9 3/4
OMGEES. wow.
wells i wish i was there. it sounds like the weather is nice? i hope you guys are having an amazing time. Oh soak your feet in some hot water tonight, it will help, trust me! keep writing and i hope my little brother is not being too much of a bother!
mom loved reading the blog keep up the great work! she also wants clark to call her! amazing pics as normal!
Post a Comment