Yes, we're back to the ValuTime Bran Flakes. For months I wondered how one could possibly improve on the basic cereal, milk, and fruit combination. Alas, I have found it. Today I wanted to make something with my ripe bananas, and I found a recipe for Banana Bran Muffins from the Pastry Queen, owner of the Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe in Texas. The recipe is printed in this cookbook. Convincing myself that they were healthy because the recipe called for several cups of bran flakes and wheat flour, I ate two of them right out of the oven. Why is it that muffins always lose that perfectly crunchy outer layer as soon as they cool down? If somebody could solve this problem for me, I would be forever grateful. For now, though, I will continue to stuff them down my throat while they are still warm.
Here is the play-by-play of me opening this incredible cookbook last Christmas.

I had no idea who the Pastry Queen was, but I knew immediately that this cookbook was made for me.

Sharing my delight with Mom who had just opened another cookbook.

Imagining the excitement to come in my kitchen. Thanks MaryAnn!

I just learned that you can freeze overripe bananas uncovered for weeks. I will forever be prepared to make these at a moment's notice.

Voila.

1 comment:
Food obsession is a wonderful thing and you come by it naturally!!
Post a Comment