I first heard of these in a newspaper article Mama Ese gave me this summer. In an effort to get to know my students, I had them write one at the beginning of the year. They are inspired by Hemingway's shortest story which reads:
For sale: baby shoes, never used.
I think I saw a few eyes rolling when I shared mine with my students in August.
So many books, so little time.
This morning I was reading Jasmine Star's blog and she is giving away a pretty hefty prize to the person who writes the best one. I wasted about an hour of my Saturday morning reading all of the comments. Some are predictable, but many are moving. Only one caused me some concern. It was posted by Sheila and read as follows:
Pregnant?! Thought then, cursed. Now, blessed!
I clicked on the link to Sheila's blog just to make sure it didn't go to Blessings in Disguise. Thankfully, I will not be needing any therapy for that one.
As I began brainstorming, I first came up with this one. Too bad it is seven words.
My final entry is going to be this:
My daily battle: dying to self.
Anyone up for sharing theirs?

5 comments:
Like Phoenix, she rose from ashes
j*
Life's blessings, some obvious, some disguised!
I like this Mrs. McAffry! :)
I did this with my 9th graders day before yesterday. There is a site, I think it's called Smith Magazine, where you can submit a six word memoir. They are going to print a collection of them. I think I'll submit my kids' (with their permission, of course!).
One of my kids wrote:
Cousin celebrated. Death knocked. Family grieves.
Post a Comment