Sunday, March 30, 2008
Can You Feel It?
At about mile two today, David Crowder's song "Can You Feel It?" came on my iPod. I wanted to scream, "Yes, I can feel it! In my knees, my hips, my calves!" And at that point, I still had 11 miles to go! Just as I was really feeling the pain and frustration, Rachel and I turned the corner on Neyland Drive and who was there but Andrew, Mom, and Dad. They were one of the first groups of people to be cheering for us runners. God knew just when I needed them. I couldn't have imagined I would need it so early, but for some reason that second mile was getting to me. I actually got teary eyed when I saw them (which I guess is not all that surprising)! They will never know how much their encouragement at that moment helped me get through the race.
I saw Jesus in so many people while I was running. There were several groups of people cheering for us on Kingston Pike and throughout Sequoyah Hills. Their shouts of encouragement and their thoughtful posters were so meaningful. They were strangers, and they were sincerely interested in our seeing our success. For those of you who think running the race is not for you, I encourage you to get out on the course and motivate the runners. I can now attest to how powerful a role they play in the race.
I had been warned (thanks Dave!) about the hill coming out of Sequoyah Hills, and yes I agree it was the most difficult. Sherry, EB, and Jamie were there rooting for us just at the foot of the hill. I guess Sherry knew from experience that was the best spot she could be!
One of the highlights of my day though was as I was running up the hill toward Children's Hospital in the last two miles, and I saw Mama Ese, Papaw Johnny and MaryAnn. My 85 year old great-grandmother held hands and ran a few paces with me. Priceless! I will never forget that experience! I almost missed Papaw because he was taking pictures, but then I heard his shouts, "Hey Babe, you can do it!" His voice was unmistakable. Thank you all for your support. I could never express how it feels to know so many people care so much about me.
Rachel and I agreed we couldn't have done this on our own. I truly enjoyed our training together and count her as a dear friend. So I know much of this post was about how difficult and painful the race was, but actually it was easier than I imagined it would be. I am so glad I can say I finished it. I may have missed church this morning, but I had quite a worship service with my God throughout the run. I believe he used each of these encouragers to share his generous Spirit with me today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS SARAH!!!
Thanks for the text...It took me a while to figure out who it was from!
Okay, so I just realized I am even more inept at this tech stuff than I thought. This is my second try--but more or less what I said was the song is awesome and you did a great job on the video. My favorite shot is when we're behind the two ladies right before the bridge on the strip. I too am thankful that we were able to train together and I am even more grateful for your friendship. P.S. Thanks again for not leaving me in the dust or in that scary marshy place. Knoxville Marathon 09 or Bust!
Aww Sarah! I just watched your video and cried! I am not really sure why, I guess I am a big sissy. I am really proud of you. I loved the scriptures you put up and that song is great. You are so lucky to have family so close that loves you and can come out and cheer you on at such events. Good Job!!!!!
I hope your body is recovering, take care of yourself :) Amy
Hey I havent got to tell you yet but I am sooo proud of you for just finishing the marathon. You are the best sister in the world and I consider myself to be the luckiest brother in the world. I am sorry I didnt make it out to cheer you on but I hope you know I was cheering you on even though I wasnt there. Youre the best! love you.
I am sooo proud of you. Love the video. Love you bunches!
Post a Comment