Saturday, March 22, 2008

What'll ya have? What'll ya have?


We stopped at The Varsity, the world's largest drive-in, on our way to the Good Friday service at Buckhead Church.  Their famous call, "What'll ya have?"  always makes me nervous.  I feel like I have to spout off my order as fast as I possibly can!  I ate mostly yogurt and fruit all day so I could eat a cheeseburger and fries guilt-free!  Andrew ordered two double bacon cheeseburgers and a chili cheese dog and there were gone in a matter of seconds!

Buckhead Church is a really neat place.  When you walk in, you feel like you are in a convention center, not a church.  And I immediately noticed that it is a very young church.  I saw only about five people that looked like they were over 50.  I must say, I enjoy attending a church with a diverse congregation!

The service started with the song "How Deep the Father's Love For Us" and three men were painting on three large pieces of glass.  At the end of the service, they moved all the pieces together to create an image of Christ on the cross from a bird's eye view.  It was as if we were looking at him through God's perspective, and the screens behind the painting were tear drops falling.  It was a really powerful experience.   

For most of the hour long service, they displayed scripture on the screens that we read as music and sound effects played.  I was a little surprised that the congregation did not sing at all, but I realized that it forced me to focus on the cross and God's unfathomable love for us.  Sometimes I get so caught up in the musicality of a song that I forget to worship.  

From a more technical perspective, I was impressed by the flow of the service.  Not a single person spoke on stage as nearly everything happened on the screens (5 of them!) and the end of one song flowed immediately into the next.  One of the most wonderfully disturbing things was this image that we were left with.  Several thousand people sat in intense silence for several minutes looking at this before anyone stood up to leave.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Just reading about the Varsity makes me hungry. I too stress when I order. Once I asked if a 'glorified' burger had pickles. I thought everyone listening was going to laugh out loud. It is intimidating, but totally worth the anxiety!!

Carlos said...

Glad you enjoyed the service!!!
Hope you continue remembering His resurrection!