
What was I thinking? My small group is studying the book of Daniel with Beth Moore's study guide, and we are getting into some pretty deep stuff. For some reason I volunteered to do some research and to bring it to group next week so we can look at other perspectives as Moore encourages us to do. So we are learning about theological issues that I have never even heard of...and I heard quite a few sermons in my lifetime! Dispensational premillennialism ring a bell for anybody? It sure didn't for me. Anyway, the image above illustrates the four beliefs as simply as they could possibly be expressed - but it is still really complicated. My question is this: does anybody know much about eschatology, the study of the end of times? If you do, please help me. I have started searching the internet, but there is so much out there that I don't even know where to begin. Any thoughts or book or website suggestions would be appreciated.
One more question that might be a bit disturbing. Do we go to heaven immediately when we die? I have always believed this to be true, but apparently some disagree and think that our spirits aren't resurrected until Christ's return to earth. Are we just selfishly trying to comfort ourselves by saying we go immediately to heaven? Check out 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 for the scripture people use to confirm this belief.
**Disclaimer: I don't think any of these issues are fundamental to my faith, but I would really enjoy learning more about them.

4 comments:
I believe in panmillennialism... which means that I think it's going to be okay when it all pans out. :)
I have always been amazed by the amount of writing, thought, and energy that people put into attempting to know what is unknowable. I would encourage you to not get too bogged down trying to figure this stuff out... like you said, it's certainly not fundamental to your faith, although I have met many Christians who believe that it is.
Another warning... if you go from reading really excellent literature (like Steinbeck) to reading the Left Behind books, your brain very well might explode.
What would your dad say? "I just like to keep things simple!" If you click on the chart you can make it big enough to read. I did that but still don't fully understand it!! Maybe I am more like your dad than I thought!!
BTW, I guess I am one of those "selfishly trying to comfort myself!!"
Thanks for your perspective Greg. I definitely don't want to get bogged down with this stuff. I just want to understand the different theories. I imagine I just might be a penmillennialist too when all this is over with!
Post a Comment