Monday, March 17, 2008

We made it!

This is Rachel and me after finishing the run.  Only two weeks until the half-marathon!

After two failed attempts to bike Cades Cove, I was a little nervous about running it today.  But, we made it!  All 11 miles!  In case you weren't aware of the two biking trips, I will fill you in.  Both times I was with the church youth group.  The first ride, I fell off and sprained my ankle.  I don't know how or why I fell off...it just happened.  The second time, I was taking the gravel road for the shortcut (maybe the first sign that I wasn't in great shape!) and everything started going black.  Long story short, I passed out and threw my wonderfully nutritious french fries and apple pie from McDonald's in reverse.  (In case you are wondering, I found that phrase by doing a Google search for "euphemism for throw up.")  Some Good Samaritans quickly came to my rescue.  They pulled over, put me in the driver's seat of their car, blasted the air conditioning on me, and gave me one of their children's juice boxes.  I will never forget the kindness they showed to a stranger that day.  I think today I found the best method for me to travel Cades Cove.  I have sworn off the biking, but I truly enjoyed running it.  

I highly recommend getting out of your car and traveling the loop by foot early in the morning while the dew is still fresh on the ground.  If I were a poet or a songwriter, I would be writing something beautiful, lyrical and poetic right now.  I really experienced the majesty of God's creation today.  I counted 71 deer that we saw throughout the run.  I guess that tells you a little about how my mind works... I bet the poet or songwriter wouldn't be counting them!  After seeing hundreds of daffodils in bloom, I began to understand Wordsworth's "I Wandered Lonely as Cloud" for the first time. 

I love Spring Break!  I hope the weather will stay this beautiful all week!

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Your blog is enough to make me want to stop mine!! Poetry references and searching for euphemisms!! I had to look back at your blog just to know how to spell euphemisms!! I am so proud of you for your dedication to and success with running. I started to mention the two failed cycling attempts this morning but I thought better of it!!

Mark B said...

Awesome dedication to running Sarah. I am cheering for you from Colorado!!