Andrew and I spent most of Friday by ourselves. We first went to Huntington Beach, otherwise known as Surf City. We just missed the Hurley US Open Surfing Championship last week.
I hope the waves were bigger then because on Friday the surfers were practically crawling over one another waiting for a good one. They looked pretty frustrated. Notice the "marine layer" that makes it look overcast every morning. Quite a euphemism if I've ever heard one. Isn't that the L.A. smog we've all heard about?
This was the beach at 9:00 AM. By noon, you can hardly find a place to lay your towel - so we went further down the beach to find a little space.
But not before having breakfast at Ruby's! There she is, way down at the end of the pier.
The anticipation just builds as you walk down the pier making the food that much more delicious.
This little diner has quite a menu. We were tempted to come back for lunch too but somehow resisted that unhealthy urge!
Waiting for the meal.
We both ordered the cinnamon roll french toast. Oh my heavens is that stuff yummy!
After spending most of the day at the beach, we then went to the Orange County Fair.
These guys were the best entertainment. Check out the creative advertising on the ground for gotdrummers.com
I haven't been to the fair at home since elementary school, but I would imagine it looks nothing like this one. It was beautiful and everything was surprisingly clean.
The food offerings were overwhelming, but we finally decided on this fried zucchini and
chicken fajitas. The fajitas weren't actually that great though they looked delicious. Twenty-five dollars later Andrew just decided to go for a pizza instead.
Those pink lights actually hold people spinning that fast in the air. You would never catch us on that thing!
We enjoyed just wandering around looking at the rides and events - and, of course, the food too! Somehow Andrew resisted the fried twinkie, but I had to try the key lime cupcake. Anybody know of a recipe for that? I've gotta find one.
At the end of the evening, we bit the bullet and paid $10 to ride the ferris wheel. Isn't it beautiful?
I don't know if it's age or what, but all of a sudden I got a little nervous when this was all I could see. We were the first ones on the ride so we were lucky enough to just hang in the air swinging back and forth on our gondola pondering what it would be like to free fall straight to the ground. A pretty romantic moment.
Andrew was such a good sport to ride this with me even though he's scared of heights. It wasn't half as bad as the Eiffel Tower though. Right, honey?
The view from the Ferris Wheel.
Not much else to report from Friday. Just a nice, relaxing fun-filled day with my husband. Hope to have a few more of these on the rest of the trip!

3 comments:
Remember when I told you that I was fascinated by color? That is all I noticed about this post! The colors at the fair were beautiful. Even the colors on the outside of Ruby's were beautiful! Also I no longer feel guilty about my unhealthy Sunday dinners!!!
I agree with your mom, the colors are amazing! So the million dollar question...fried zucchini or fried pickles?
No question there - fried pickles!
Post a Comment