Monday, August 17, 2009

They're Back

School is officially back in session, and I'm so relieved the students are finally filling the desks in my room that seemed so empty last week. The first few days were a bit overwhelming with all the new department chair duties I'm dealing with, but already it's so worth it. We're slowly making a few changes as a department, tweaking and refining our teaching practices in effort to do the best we can for each student.

I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as I saw all my former students walking the hallways today. The senior English teacher next door has a class full of my kids from last year, and I couldn't help but step in the door and gush about how much I missed them.

Right now I'm thinking this semester is looking pretty good. In fact, when the bell rang and I walked in the door for second period, the entire class of 28 was bent over their desk silently filling out their student information sheet that I hadn't even mentioned yet. A great first impression for these kids. Let's hope it's not just a honeymoon period!

I only had 30 minutes with each class today - not enough time to get into the syllabus or anything like that, so I presented a slide show about how much I love my life. The reason for this was two-fold: to introduce myself and show them I am a real person with a life outside of school and to inspire them to live the life they love as well. I explained that my purpose as their teacher is to equip them with the skills they need to do that. I guess we'll see how effective that little speech was here in a few weeks.

Haven't been too busy in the way of photo sessions lately, but here is one from this weekend.

Click here to see more.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

If only every teacher loved their job as much as you do. You are not only an inspiration to your students but to your mother as well. Here's to a great year.

Sheila said...

Oh...and what are the chances we can see that video??

melissa said...

those are great!! He really looks cute in blk/wht.

Rachel said...

You didn't even sound marginally tired. I've been exhausted for two days straight. Speaking of...it's about bed time. Sheila, I'm sure you're no slouch in the classroom either.