Wednesday, August 5, 2009

California

In case you haven't noticed yet, all the blog post titled are song titles from our California soundtrack.  It's obviously getting harder as the week goes on!

Monday morning we awoke to a beautifully foggy morning in Morro Bay.

This was the view from our hotel.

And this was the view from our hotel balcony.

Morro Rock, in the background, was hidden in the thick morning fog.

Out of all the boats on the bay, this was my favorite.  I have no less than ten pictures of this boat alone.

I know you can't tell, but the birds were everywhere in these trees.

We still just can't get over these views - and they last for hundreds of miles!

First on the itinerary was Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park.  A short quarter mile trail led to this stunning site.  They advertise it by promoting the waterfall.  I think they need to see Fall Creek Falls before calling it a waterfall.

Can you see it there?  That little trickle on the left?

I think they should just call it a cliff or a bluff - not a waterfall.  Definitely still worth the stop though.

I just can't get over these colors!

Before beginning the 17 Mile Drive, we pulled over at the Pebble Beach Market for a quick picnic lunch.

A round on one of their three courses only sets you back about $500.

The Lone Cypress has become the symbol of Pebble Beach.

Almost as fun as the ocean views around 17 Mile Drive was looking at the real estate.  And I'm talking about some estates here, not just homes.  Just the land alone is outrageous but add massive, luxurious homes on top of it and you've got some of the most sought after property in the country.  No pictures of those - need a wide angle lens too!

After checking in at the Hyatt Regency Monterey, we drove to Cannery Row.


"Cannery Row in Monterey in California is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream. " - John Steinbeck


The old sardine factories have been reclaimed for touristy shops (read: no need to spend much time here.)

I haven't actually read Cannery Row yet, but hope to soon.  Along with all of Steinbeck's other novels!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Your pictures of Morro Bay are magical. I hope you all are enjoying your last full day in the Bay.

Sheila said...

Great pictures. Milly says she is glad you have had fun but she is clean and ready for you to come back home now!!