Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Belgium

Yesterday began with an early morning departure from Paris.  We drove through what was probably beautiful country, but I was conked out on the bus - most likely with my mouth hanging wide open.  (You're welcome for the lovely image!)  Our first stop was in Ypres, the site of a World War I battleground.  We visited the British and Canadian cemetery, Tyne Cot, which memorializes 12,000 soldiers who gave their life while fighting against the German forces.

The cemetery is surrounded by this beautiful farmland in Belgium.

Flowers line the front of each row.

The kids really seemed to understand the meaning of this place.  We usually stand out as the silly, giggley Americans, but they were very serious and somber as they walked the grounds of the cemetery.  The visual representation of so many headstones is undeniably powerful and reminded us to think of these men and their families as individual lives that were profoundly changed by the ravages of war.  

This quote was printed on the wall of the Visitor's Center:

We can truly say that the whole circuit of the earth is girdled with the graves of our dead. In the course of my pilgrimage, I have many times asked myself whether there can be more potent advocates of peace on earth through the years to come, than this massed multitude of silent witnesses to the desolation of war.
- King George V, Tyne Cot Cemetery, 11 May 1922

Our fabulous tour guide prepared a picnic for us to eat along our route though it took us about an hour to find a place to eat it - apparently the Belgians don't do much picnicing.  She included some typical French fare along with some Israeli food.  

This was all that mattered to me.  I used some for a salami and cheese sandwich and the rest for some nutella.  Ooh la la!

The peaches were so juicy that I had to use wet wipes to clean my hands.  Thanks for the packing assistance Mama Ese!

Having a Dejeuner sur l'Herbe moment.

Once we made it to Bruges, we checked into our gorgeous hotel and hit the ground running.  We only had about an hour before the shops closed, and we just had to leave with some Belgium chocolate and lace!

Cindy got momentarily sidetracked by the toothless street musician.

Don't worry, we're pretty experienced shoppers so we accomplished what we needed to in our limited time frame!  I can't wait to share it when I get home!

Dinner included a beef stew that was so tender and tasty we just had to get the recipe.  The waitress generously shared it with us.  We also had some of the region's famous French fries.

A meal just isn't complete without dessert, so we topped it all off with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce - the good dark chocolate kind.  This definitely didn't come from a squeezable bottle!

We were spoiled by the mid 70 degree temperatures in London and Paris, so the chilly, windy weather in Bruges took us by surprise.  However, the city is delightfully charming, so we couldn't possibly stay indoors.

Window boxes are all over Europe.  I think it's about time Powell catches on to this trend.

Lovely.

This man quickly became one of my favorite people in Bruges...

because he created this culinary masterpiece for me.  Mme asked me to share one with her since we had just finished our three course meal, and at first I said yes.  Yeah right.  I succumbed to the Belgium waffle temptation while ordering and got one of my own.  I didn't regret it one bit.  Not a single bit.


Bruges is known as the Venice of Belgium.  Beautifully picturesque.

I love the clean, simple lines of the architecture.  And again more window boxes.

I would love to imitate the color and the symmetry of this entryway in my house someday.

If you are ever anywhere close in Europe, definitely plan a stop to Bruges.  I hope to one day venture back there with Andrew.  

2 comments:

Sheila said...

I just know you are going to hand carry me back one of those beautiful belgium waffles and I can already taste it!!!

kp said...

You've been quite the busy blogger. Even though the quote from the cemetary is nearly 90 years old, it's still so true. Bruges looks very quaint. The picture with Cindy is hilarious! Last year her surprise kiss came from Gesepe (our Italian bus driver). Enjoy your last full day.