Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Moulin Rouge

While the rest of the group climbed the hill to Montmartre, the ones going to Moulin Rouge headed back to the hotel to get ourselves ready for the show.  We had no idea what to expect at this classic French cabaret.  

This is the first of many windmills we have seen on the trip.

Considering the tradition of the place, the actual show was a little bit disappointing, but I am only speaking for myself here.  I guess it might be a cultural difference, but the dancers seemed uninterested and a bit sloppy in their performance - not to suggest that the French are sloppy - just that maybe it's unusual for them to show much enthusiasm.  In America, they would have had huge smiles plastered on their face and the movements would have probably been more in sync.  Let me put it this way - Brittany, my cheerleader coach friend, would have been horrified!

Things went significantly downhill when one of the dancers stepped into a tank to swim with three python snakes.  And that's all I can say about that.  I don't want to be haunted in my sleep tonight.

After the ventriloquist came onstage, things began to turn around.  Well, until the Jasmine and Aladdin look-alikes floated through the air lip-syncing a cheesey love song.  Okay, I am making it sound awful.  It really wasn't that bad, just not exactly what I had pictured.  The best part was watching the kids having fun.  They even got to try some real French Champagne though of course most didn't like it.  It worked out for me though.  I'm bringing the rest back home with me!  They went on and on after the show and were so glad to have seen it.  That made it all worth it.  It's not a must-see in Paris, but I'm glad to say I've been there.

I have so enjoyed getting to spend time with these girls outside of the classroom.  They fixed my hair with the cool new side-braid look.  You can't tell by the picture, but I bought that gray shirt in Paris.  It's quite loose and forgiving so I'm eating bread, bread, and more bread!

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Swimming with pythons? I think I am speechless....

Enjoyed the onesided Skype conversation!!