Monday, June 8, 2009

Amsterdam

Our first full day in Amsterdam began with a bus tour of the city with a fabulously stylist guide.  She probably thought we were crazy!  We asked where she got her jacket, felt how soft it was, and asked to take her picture.  Just call us ambassadors for America!  The woman didn't have a stitch of makeup on, had gray in her hair, and wrinkles on her face, but she was one of the most beautiful women I saw on the trip.  Yet another reminder to stay away from plastic surgery.  I wish some of the Real Housewives of New Jersey could have seen her.  Goodness, those women!

The whole group in front of one of Holland's famous windmills.

My 50mm made it so hard to get a picture of something this size.  I would scoot back, check the view finder, scoot back, check the view finder, etc.  Then I'd just give up and take the shot.

The guide gave us 30 minutes to peruse the flower market.  Too bad we had no reason to buy fresh flowers, but darned if I didn't get some bulbs back to the States!  I can't wait for my purple tulips next Spring!

The Rijksmuseum (pronounced Rikes) houses 17th century Dutch paintings.

This included both Rembrandt and Vermeer.  Angelique gave me quite a lesson on art in this place.  She helped me see the paintings in a new way.  

Rembrandt's "The Night Watch" is massive and fascinating.  It really looks like the captain's hand is extended outside the painting.  

Vermeer's "The Mildmaid" is my favorite painting in the Rijks.  The blue color was created using an expensive pigment called ultramarine.  Our guide said it best - "You can almost hear the milk pouring from the pitcher."  Thanks to the PTA, every year Madame buys a print and they frame it for our hallway.  I chose "The Milkmaid
 for our print this year, and it will be placed right outside my room in the English Hall.  Yay Vermeer!

Knowing my obsession with pearls, you can imagine how much I love Vermeer's painting "Girl With a Pearl Earring."  The book of the same title isn't great but definitely worth reading.  The painting is housed somewhere in The Hague so we didn't get to see this one.

After the Rijksmuseum we stopped at a cafe for lunch and I ordered my third mozzarella, tomato and pesto sandwich.  I just can't get enough of that fresh flavor.  I guess I was so excited I even forgot to snap a picture.  After one bite of our dessert, I knew I had to snap a photo to document the experience.

These mini-pancakes were drenched in powdered sugar.  I don't know if they were really that good, or if anything coated in that much sugar would taste good.  Either way, I'll be making them soon.

Next stop: The Diamond Factory.  

This was almost Happy Anniversary to me. Then I saw the price tag.  1100 euros.  No thanks.  But Andrew, I'm a sucker for sapphires encircled in diamonds.  Nevermind, anything encircled in diamonds will do.

They brought out trays of diamond jewelry for us to play with.

Then my camera died.  I can't prove it, but dinner included bread, salad, an entree I can't remember, and an apple dumplin - though I'm sure they don't call them dumplins in Amsterdam.  I politely asked someone to pass the bread basket after I finished my entree, and Madame politely asked if I would like more salad.  I got the hint from our school health nut, but I definitely went for more bread instead of salad.  Even about five pounds later, I believe it was worth it.  

One of the funniest moments of the trip occurred on the boat ride through the canals of Amsterdam on our last night.  Cindy was looking back through her purchases from the day, and pulled out a magnet of a Coffee Shop.  Sounds innocent, right?  Only in Amsterdam, coffee shops aren't known for the coffee, but rather for the marijuana they sell.  Her magnet had little marijuana leaves all over it!  Our own little Dolly Parton was completely shocked that she bought such a thing.  I laughed harder than I've laughed in weeks.  Still laughing just thinking about it!

We gathered in the hotel lobby for our final celebration.  All the chaperones came up with awards to present to each traveler.  This is such a special night to wrap up our adventures.  I even remember receiving The Coco Chanel Award at a restaurant in Nice when I was 17.  Here are a few we gave out this year:
  • The Cinderella Award for the girl who dropped her shoe in the tracks of the Eurostar
  • The Fashion Victim Award for the girl who fit right in while walking the streets of Paris
  • The French Gentleman Award for the boy that helped load suitcases and hold doors for the 20 women on the trip
  • and my personal favorite - The Mrs. Robinson Award for the grandmother who had the hots for the young Dutch cobbler
Here's Angelique in her borrowed American getup.  Put anybody in a NorthFace jacket and they suddenly look American.  She wanted one until she found out how much they cost.

They were worn out, but I hope this trip impacted them as much as it did me when I was their age.  It birthed in me a love of traveling that I hope to never lose.

Most of the trip has now been covered, but tomorrow holds a few final anecdotes from our trip home.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I have been kept in suspense all weekend waiting for the last day's synopsis! Love the Cindy story! And that ring was gorgeous!!