The highlight of our morning - well, other than breakfast - was the Eiffel Tower. It is one thing to walk by it, but quite another to go all the way up. Right Andrew? If you can't remember, this year-old post should refresh your memory. Sorry, I couldn't help myself!
This is almost identical to the picture I took last year.
We arrived early to try to avoid a line. It still took two hours to wait in line, go up and come down. Everything takes much longer than you think it will in this city.
When we stepped off the elevator on the top floor, we were surprised to see men hanging from cables over 900 feet in the air. They were painting the tower with a paintbrush about one inch wide.
I'm not so sure that hanging cables from the platform where thousands of tourists pass by is a safe plan.
Mom, you might want to skip this next paragraph. Just giving you fair warning. - Several of us decided it would be faster to take the stairs down the second half of the tower to make sure we had plenty of time to shop. About two flights into our descent, my right index finger was injured. I don't know whether it is wood, iron, or rust, but I have something jammed up under my fingernail. I tried to get out what I could, but the rest isn't going anywhere without a doctor's assistance. I know you read that so please just fugghedaboutit and don't worry, be happy now. Whooh, whooh, whooh, who-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ooh...
Where was I? Madame arranged a special guided tour of the l'Opera building - one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. Built in the 18th century, the building was much more about being seen than it was about performing onstage.
The Chagall painting on the ceiling together with the building's architecture combines elements of different centuries. (Don't ask me which ones.)
The women who attended the Opera in the 18th century would take 30-45 minutes to make it up the marble stairs so the people standing above could see their elaborate gowns and jewelry. (Travel Note: When asking for la toilette in France, "up the next floor and on the right" may mean "up two flights of stairs, take a left and then a right.")
No Parisian afternoon is complete without dessert! I tried the pear chocolate crumble at a cafe across from Notre Dame. I'm forcing myself to try new things while on this trip and haven't been disappointed yet!
Notre Dame directly translates as "Our Lady." The reason the cathedral is dedicated to her is because she has one foot in the Old Testament, one foot in the New.
Visitors pay two euros to light a candle and pray. It's a beautiful sight. Of course I understand the reason for the price, but you must admit it is strange to insinuate that one must pay before praying!
I don't know if my concentration would be strong enough to ignore all the tourists and cameras and listen to the sermon.
The three turrets are the Conciergerie where Marie Antoinette was held before being sent to the guillotine.
Our final dinner in Paris was at this Creperie, the quintessential Parisian meal.
I had a mozzarella and tomato crepe for dinner and the strawberry jam crepe for dessert. What a way to end our culinary treats in this city! I must not forget tomorrow's breakfast though. Croissant and nutella, here I come. Yes, I said nutella for breakfast. Leave me alone. I have all summer to make up for it!
The Moulin Rouge review is too much for my brain right now at 3:00 in the morning. I'll recap later. Tomorrow we drive through the French countryside to Bruges, supposedly the Venice of Belgium. Hope to get some good pics for you!

4 comments:
I'm sorry to hear about your hand, but it made me chuckle that you were consoling your mom with who hoos. If my count is correct, you all have only stopped in at two cathedrals. Maybe Mme. got her fill last year. BTW, I think I looked for any excuse to eat Nutella whilst I was over there and I'm sure you're walking it all off. Get some rest on the bus. P.S. I cannot believe you were awake at 3 a.m.! Did you catch some Zs at the show?
I was just wondering if your Mom hasn't posted a comment yet because she is on a plane somewhere over the Atlantic headed for Belgium to nurse your hand.
Rachel you crack me up as well! I had not posted until now because I thought there was no way Sarah would have posted last night! And I did not even check! Maybe that was God's way of letting me get a good night's sleep! Ha. And just because it was 9 a.m. when I posted this comment don't assume that is the time I got up today!!! But if you did assume that you might be right!!
Haha! You must never tell Mme that I fell asleep at Phantom! There was no sleeping at this one...just crying
Post a Comment