Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day

Yesterday started out with Andrew and I skipping out on our annual homeowner's meeting. What rebels we are! It helps that one of the board members is my great-grandmother, so I can catch up on the neighborhood drama later. Have I ever mentioned how wonderful it is that MamaEse lives just up the street? Besides the great company and conversation, she always has a plentiful supply of dark chocolate!

So we headed out to the grocery early to stock up for the week and for our V-Day feast.  I totally intended to take pictures of the entire meal, but my iron-deprived body practically inhaled the steak before I could even think of whipping out the camera.

As I was preparing the twice-baked potatoes, I realized I could alter the recipe just a bit and also make potato skins for an appetizer.  Because we are so health conscious (what?  the bacon and cheese didn't clue you in?), we did not use a Fry Daddy as I remember my parents using many years ago.  That was the only way these could have possibly been improved upon.

Valentine's Day just wouldn't be complete without chocolate covered bananas...or is that chocolate covered strawberries?  Both were delicious.

I wasn't sure about this biscotti.  It was my first time making it, and the texture didn't seem quite right.  According to Dad, though, they were just fine.

Not pictured:  Andrew's perfectly cooked peppered filet, twice-baked potatoes, and broccoli - you know, because we are health conscious and all.

I would also like to share an exciting revelation.  Cooking bacon in the oven has changed my life...or at least will likely change my waistline in the future weeks.  The smell doesn't permeate the entire house, clean up is easy, and it cooks consistently and evenly.  Bring on the bacon recipes!

For Andrew:  I am proud to be your wife.  Thank you for being so easy to love.

3 comments:

kp said...

Sounds delicious! Were there any leftovers?

Sheila said...

Just so you know we threw that Fry Daddy out years ago!! We now broil our potato skins!!!

The Adkins Family said...

um, so what exactly is the problem with the smell of bacon filling the house?