- After waking up barely able to walk to turn the alarm off Wednesday morning, I learned that I must resist my competitive nature that tells me to run the conditioning drills two days in a row. Something inside urges me to prove to my players that "I can do it too." After laying out while they ran today, I realized they don't care if I run it or not. Whew.
- Even though it isn't always physically demanding, coaching is apparantly draining. The last three nights I have fallen asleep on the couch between 8:30 and 9:00. Would you believe I missed both Brothers & Sisters and Real Housewives of Orange County this week? I have to figure something out before Andrew goes on strike from carrying me to bed.
- I absolutely cannot wear my warmup pants and jacket together. Andrew says I look like "Christaphuh" from The Sopranos. I think I look like a soccer mom from the 80s.
- I absolutely love coaching (not surprising for those who know my need for control). I love creating practice plans, drill stations, encouraging and critiquing their shots. Just before the season started, when I realized I had practice or a match every weekday for the next three months, I briefly questioned my decision to do this. In just this one week though, I can already see that I am going to love each one of my players. I hope the team will provide as much joy and satisfaction for them as it already has for me.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Coaching: Week One
Some observations:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
And just exactly what is wrong with looking like a soccer mom from the 80's????????
Post a Comment