Friday, August 29, 2008

Knoxville's Best Sweet Tea

Today my sophomore honors students conducted a tasting of sweet tea to find out which restaurant in Knoxville serves the best.  I got the idea after reading an article called "Sweet Tea: A Love Story" in the July/August issue of Garden and Gun.  Yesterday we did a close reading of the article, and today we voted on the best sweet tea.  Their homework for the long weekend is to write a review.  We have a few contacts at the Knoxville News-Sentinel, so I am hoping the best one will get published.  Don't you think that would be valuable information for Knoxvillians?  I will definitely let you know if that happens!  These kids are absolutely wonderful!  Here are the results.  

1st Period:
  • ***** McDonalds with 94 votes
  • **** Chick-fil-A with 91 votes
  • *** Bojangles with 60 votes
  • ** Chintzy Rose with 50 votes
  • * McAlisters with 34 votes
3rd Period:
  • ***** Bojangles with 97 votes
  • **** Chick-fil-A with 91 votes
  • *** McDonalds with 77 votes
  • ** Chintzy Rose with 58 votes
  • * McAlisters with 53 votes

I made madeleines because we discussed Marcel Proust, a French novelist, who wrote about how this French treat brought back memories of his family.  

I poured 250 cups of tea today.

My room was a sticky mess by the end of the day.

Just look at them working.  Quite a studious bunch.

If I am guessing correctly, they are thinking: "How on earth can I describe this tea any differently than the last one.  Ummm, strong tea flavor, extremely sweet..." 

Anybody want to chime in? Which is your favorite? I was sick to my stomach after tasting the first two in first period. Being a water-only drinker, they all just tasted like syrup.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

We even say the same things!! I have not had several of the tea selections, but I am a McAlisters tea fan, so that gets my vote for sure!!

AReed said...

Did you know Mcdonalds sweet tea has 800 calories? My favorite is Bojangles sweet tea.

Anonymous said...

I love the tea from Chick-fil-A. When we have company, I get it and the lemonade by the jug. Oh, and Melinda Lentz makes the best homemade sweet tea I've ever had (besides Granny's tea).

The Adkins Family said...

My favorite is to mix about half and half sweet / unsweet at Bojangles. Otherwise it's too sweet.

McDonald's is sugar water... I can't see how people drink that stuff... just nasty.