Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Unexpected Surprise

We went to the doctor today hoping to hear the heartbeat. Instead, we actually had an ultrasound. The only catch was that we had to wait for about 45 minutes wondering why we couldn't hear the heartbeat from the Doppler. I guess we can check that off as our first major parenting scare. They kept assuring us it was nothing to worry about, so we just tried not to think about it.

After the 45 minutes of waiting, our minds were quickly put at ease. As soon as the ultrasound technician put the wand on my stomach, we immediately saw the baby moving. She stretched her back out; I guess she's not a fan of the ultrasound lady pressing all over her. (I'm using "she" because the ultrasound technician did.) Incidentally, I have started thinking it's a girl lately though I've always thought it sounds a little hokey to make guesses like that.

Stats: Heart rate 159 beats per minute and 7 centimeters long.

We don't have a picture of it, but we actually got to see a hand - and all five fingers!

I've been reading all the websites and books that tell you about the baby's progress, but this just made it so real. Just look at that ultrasound. She already has facial features and the cutest little profile! Only 8 more weeks until we find out if "she" is really a she.

4 comments:

What I am is a......Good Southern Girl said...

OHHHHH MY GOODNESS! That is so cute! For some reason I keep referring to Baby Mac as "she" also. How exciting for you to see her on the ultrasound today too!

Sheila said...

I can already tell she or he (I am not ready to commit!)is the most beautiful baby I have EVER seen. There absolutely are no words. I am so blessed. This is the most exciting thing to happen in my life since my own two beautiful babies were born.

Tears of pure joy.

Sarah C said...

Andrew was pretty insistent that we not commit to either gender yet, too! I may have cried a time or two while I was writing this one :)

melissa said...

Thats my future neice in there!! Im going w/girl too for now...Sorry if you turn out to be a boy!!! Aunt Melissa loves you anyway!! Huh, who'da thought the roles would be reversed, and I would be the one anticipating taking a new neice/nephew somewhere..you always did that w/mine Aunt Sarah...wow, times are changing..check out my blog to see what Audrey and I did this week...