Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Best Movie Lines Ever

Return to Me
Bob Rueland: I miss Elizabeth. I'll always miss her. But I ache for Grace.


It's like a dagger to the heart every time I hear him utter that line. The word ache is just so unexpected and so powerful. Whew.

Love Actually
[neither understands the other's language]
Jamie: [in English] It's my favorite time of day, driving you.
Aurelia: [in Portuguese] It's the saddest part of my day, leaving you.

Oh, the irony! I just love all the story lines in this movie, but this couple is my favorite vignette by far. Their inability to communicate is so endearing. So endearing, in fact, that I have to share another one.

Jamie: You learned English?
Aurelia: Just in cases.

I don't know how that extra 's' on the word case that makes this one of the most tender and sweet moments in the movie, but these writers were brilliant.

The Shawshank Redemption
[last lines]
Red: [narrating] I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

This movie is such a beautiful illustration of the resiliency of the human spirit.

The Godfather
Don Corleone: Because a man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.

Stole this one from Andrew. How great is it that this is my husband's favorite movie line?

Steel Magnolias
Truvy: Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.

I have to agree with you Truvy.

When Harry Met Sally
Harry Burns: There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance.
Sally Albright: Which one am I?
Harry Burns: You're the worst kind; you're high maintenance but you think you're low maintenance.

I've heard I might suffer from the same delusion.

This task was actually a little more complicated than I thought it would be. Turns out, some of the best movie lines aren't entirely appropriate for publishing. Now it's your turn. Share one of your faves.

9 comments:

Shannon Kelley said...

Love Love Actually! Best movie ever and love the storyline you quoted here! Fun post!

Mark B said...

YO ADRIAN!!!

Rocky :)

Sheila said...

Okay, well I pondered on this all day. I had to think of them and then I had to look them up to get them right....so here goes.

1. Since Shawshank is my favorite movie ever I have to start with it. All of the narration by Red is fabulous. I really love the scene where Andy locks the warden's office and plays the music. It was too long to copy, but here it is. 9The third one.)(http://www.reelmovienews.com/quotes/movies/the-shawshank-redemption/)
But I also love this line...
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"
2. "Carpe Diem. Seize the day boys. Make your lives extraordinary." Dead Poets Society

3. "Tawaaanda" Fried Green Tomatoes
4. "There's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo...and it's worth dying for." Lord of the Rings:the Two Towers
5. There's no place like home." The Wizard of Oz
and just to lighten things up...
6. "Yippee Ki Yay..." Die Hard

BTW if you had not already picked the Return to Me quote I would have!
Did I overdo???

Sheila said...

I should have proofread! I did not ponder on it, I pondered it.

Moe Jontana said...

Wow Sheila. You managed to almost have as many quotes as Sarah did! Impressive.

I have too many favorites, but here's one:
"I'm the guy who does his job....you must be the other guy" - Mark Wahlberg in The Departed

Rachel said...

Off the top of my head:
1. "Nobody puts Baby in the Corner." Dirty Dancing
2. "That'll be the day." The Searchers
3. "Well, color me happy there's a sofa in here for two." Pretty Woman

Nothing inspirational, just memorable. Thanks for the fun and interactive blog.

Amy Williams said...

I only came here to do two things: kick some a-- and drink some beer. [glances over his shoulder] Looks like we're almost outta beer.


Dazed and Confused

Unknown said...

"Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac…It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!" - Carl Spackler- Caddyshack

Go to link for full audio-
http://www.carlspackler.com/sounds/116.mp3



No one makes me bleed my own blood!
-White Goodman- Dodgeball

Necessary? It's not necessary that I drink my own urine, but it's sterile and I like how it tastes.
-Patches O'Houlihan- Dodgeball

Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!
-Harry- Dumb And Dumber

Colonel Sandurz: Prepare ship for light speed.
Dark Helmet: No, no, no, light speed is too slow.
Colonel Sandurz: Light speed, too slow?
Dark Helmet: Yes, we're gonna have to go right to ludicrous speed.
-Spaceballs

Sarah C said...

Lovely, Kenny, lovely.

I had such fun reading these! Thanks, everybody.