Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snowed-In

After reading this article about the French Market in Knoxville, I have been craving crepes like crazy. Afraid to get out in this weather though, I decided to whip up some of my own for breakfast. You may think this looks more like a dessert recipe, but you know, I'm pregnant. It's been a good excuse for many things lately, so I might as well use it here too.

This recipe is perfect for being snowed-in because it only uses ingredient you have on hand at all times. It turned out to be the best crepe recipe I have ever used - and I have tried my fair share of crepe recipes :)

Strawberries are my topping of choice, but if your great-grandmother doesn't keep you stocked, you can use anything you like - bananas, preserves, caramel sauce, fresh whipped cream. You can, of course, venture into the savory fillings such as cheese, spinach, or salmon, but I just can't get away from the perfect combination of strawberries and nutella.

Set yourself up a little crepe station and start assembling.

See how they get a little crispy and roll up on the edges? Perfection.

This is always my dilemma - how to fold the crepe? The crepe stands in Paris fold them in half and then into thirds but our weren't big enough for that so Andrew got something of a crepe sampler platter.

I decided to stick with the fold-in-half method because it makes them seem bigger and you feel like you're eating more. And that's what it's all about after all.

It was quite an adventure sending Milly out into the snow this morning.

It may look like she was frolicking in the snow, but really she was so mad about her straight-from-Paris socks that she was walking around with stiff legs.

She definitely gave me the cold shoulder.

I'm sure my Denver family thinks it pretty funny that we call two inches being snowed-in, but even if we could actually get out, I love the idea of being holed up at home.

I'm looking forward to a day of reading, cooking, watching TV, and even - dare I say it? - watching a Lifetime movie or two. It's my pregnancy guilty pleasure. Okay, that and the crepes for breakfast.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Those pictures of Millie are too funny. I would say (as a dog lover) she definitely seemed more pouty than frolicking but it makes for some funny shots. Can I put in a request that you stop blogging all you yummy food pictures...it's pure torture.

What I am is a......Good Southern Girl said...

I love the crepes! But poor Millie! She is looking none too happy about her perfectly matched snow apparel.