Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Bientot Madame

Today we said au revoir - no, that's a bientot (She refuses to say "goodbye", only "see you soon.")- to one of the best educators to walk the halls of our school. In true Madame Taylor style, she didn't want a retirement party. Instead we celebrated her 60th birthday at Bistro by the Bijou. They shut down the restaurant just for her, and we packed the house. After sitting in her French class for four years and teaching down the hall from her for another four, I felt a little out of sorts last week without her. In fact, I texted her just hours after school started Monday to tell her I already missed her. In reality, she isn't even fully retired. She is teaching two classes at another local high school as a Distinguished Professional - a grant from the state. Add to that the evening classes she teaches at Pellissippi, and I think you still have a full-time teacher. She's one of the rare few that just can't imagine her life outside the classroom. I pray I will still have that passion and dedication when I am in her place.

Mme, I don't know how we'll make it without you. Guess I'll just have to take another tour around the world with you to get some quality time.

Pregnancy Update - 11.5 Weeks
  • Morning Sickness - correction - All-Day Sickness: getting better
  • Energy: returning just in time for second semester
  • Baby Bump: making its appearance earlier than expected
  • Cravings: fruit, juice, smoothies, bagels, salads, carbs, carbs, carbs
  • Aversions: fish, shrimp, and most meat
  • Baby Names: still under negotiation
  • Clothing: thank goodness for the rubber band trick
  • Sniffer: still can't find the source of the stinky smell in my house but I did smell the most delicious glass of red wine today - and I don't even like red wine
  • Grandparents: wearing Grandpa hats and being put on spending restriction
  • Baby McAffry: the size of a large lime - and that statement alone makes all the digestion, appetite, and weight issues beyond worth it

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Dad made you a big jar of fruit salad tonight.

And how about tomorrow after school I come by and see if I can help with the smell...

Sarah C said...

As long as you bring that big jar of fruit salad with you, come right in :)