Saturday, April 18, 2009

Matthew Perryman Jones at the Square Room

Andrew and I have been saving up in our Dave Ramsey Miscellaneous Envelope for a big date.  When I heard Matthew Perryman Jones was coming back to the Square Room, I knew I had to make up for our previous unsuccessful attempt to see him there.  Turns out it helps to buy the tickets in advance!  

We started the evening in the Old City at Pasta Trio.  I have heard great things about it, and we really wanted to try something new.  When we walked in at 6:00, they said their chef wouldn't be there until 6:30.  We walked around and thought about doing Nama instead, but decided we weren't quite ready for the sushi leap.  At 6:30, we again went to Pasta Trio, and this time they said their chef wouldn't be back until 7:00.  Are you kidding?  It's Friday night and your chef isn't even in the restaurant at 6:30?  

If we didn't have our heart set on eating here, we would have just eaten elsewhere, but instead we hopped next door to Crown & Goose for a drink until the chef felt like showing up.  Finally, they were ready for us, and the lovely hostess gave us the prime window seat surrounded by empty wine bottles signed by their devoted patrons.  The salad was creative and tasty, the bread simply scrumptious, the pasta perfection.  Totally worth the trouble.  I must brag that Andrew and I resisted offers for more bread two times.  I told him if they asked again, I didn't think I could resist.  Sadly, I did eat my entire dish of pasta.

Peter Barbee opened for MPJ.  Apparently he is a Knoxvillian trying to make something of himself in Music City.  He was great, but lets face it, we were all waiting on the headliner.  Just before MPJ stepped out on the stage at 10 o'clock, I thought there was no way I could stay awake.  He completely proved me wrong.  I had never seen him with a full band, and they were incredible - especially the lead guitarist that couldn't stop smiling.  I don't understand why MPJ isn't a famous rock star by now.  His vocals are silky smooth, his lyrics subtly introspective, and he just rocks.  He happens to be quite easy on the eyes as well!

Here, you decide for yourself.



At the concert, he mentioned a new community called Brite Revolution where you can pay $5 a month and get two new songs from each artist every month.  Pretty cool.  When I was checking out their website, I noticed that I know one of artists.  I went to UT and did my internship with Ellie Holcomb.  I saw her picture and couldn't believe that was her!  I had no idea she even sang.  Pretty cool.

We had so much fun last night that we went back for more this morning.  When I saw the menu at the French Market on Gay Street, I had to have it ASAP.  Andrew chose a fresh-baked pain au chocolat, and I ordered a cinnamon butter crepe.  Oh my.  Felt like I was back on the streets of Paris (where I will be in about a month!!).  I highly recommend this place.  I can't wait to try one of their savory crepes.  

On today's to do list: two photo sessions - taking advantage of this beautiful Tennessee Spring weather!

No comments: